Thread: Pellets

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Pellets

l own a Daystate Revere and an AirArms S410 both .177 both accurate rifles but recently l noticed the S410 seemed to be dropping off in accuracy and not because of a drop in pressure so l cleaned the barrel with a pull through and was pleased to find that it was back on the mark, so my question is are any brand of pellet any cleaner than the rest ie are any brands fouling the barrel with fewer pellets fired through the rifle than any other brand.
    Is it down to the quality of the lead?

I have never felt the need to have to clean a barrel. I mainly shoot springers and haven't ever detected a drop-off in performance that dictated a barrel clean. However, I have heard a good few PCP shooters say otherwise and they will advise a clean and re-lead once accuracy drops off. For some, this seems to be a regular "routine" ritual after so many shots after gleaning the information. For others, only when that drop-off is detected.

I have never washed, dried and lubed pellets but understand that this might help in this regard.

At a guess, and pretty much a generalisation, I'd say that pellets from JSB and H&N will be the "cleanest" ex-factory. But the pellet to choose (for me, anyway) would always be the one that delivers the best accuracy in a particular rifle / barrel.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Like Tone says, I never really cleaned my springer barrels, I did a shroud change on my Prosport and had to heat it up to try and remove the old one but I ended up removing it completely from the action and cutting it off, long story short, whilst it was off, I cleaned the bore through and it wasn't as accurate afterwards as it was before, it has slowly regained accuracy over time as its releaded up from being shot.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Most barrels need a clean now and then to keep them accurate, but it's 100 pellets with some guns and 1000+ with others, there is no real way of knowing till your using that gun. The pellets in my experience have little to do with how quickly you need to clean a barrel, so always clean a new barrel, and then just when the accuracy falls off, although more often will not do it any harm, it's not arguably going to help it any if it's shooting well either
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

ive never cleaned any of my springer barrels

I very rarely clean my springer barrels (95, 97 & TX) but my Red Wolf seems to benefit from a pull to through more regularly than any other gun I've owned!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I have never felt the need to have to clean a barrel. I mainly shoot springers and haven't ever detected a drop-off in performance that dictated a barrel clean. However, I have heard a good few PCP shooters say otherwise and they will advise a clean and re-lead once accuracy drops off. For some, this seems to be a regular "routine" ritual after so many shots after gleaning the information. For others, only when that drop-off is detected.

I have never washed, dried and lubed pellets but understand that this might help in this regard.

At a guess, and pretty much a generalisation, I'd say that pellets from JSB and H&N will be the "cleanest" ex-factory. But the pellet to choose (for me, anyway) would always be the one that delivers the best accuracy in a particular rifle / barrel.
    JSB pellets are the dirty dogs of the pellet world, being pure lead they do leave deposits, try rolling a FTT and JSB between your finger n thumb, you'll soon see which is the cleaner pellet
    Hw77+7

Agree, sir.

But I was referring more to lack of swarf etc. The FTT have become my "go to" in many of my rifles.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!