Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lead free pellet test review

Yes, I was also slightly puzzled at Gary's modus operandi, AB.

Nothing I've seen so far makes me warm to any of the lead free fodder currently available.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

On the other site I have compared lead free Baracudas with Baracuda lights - 10 shots of each at 40yds. Long story short is the lead free group was close to twice the diameter (4 times the area) of the lead group. Leaded Baracuda lights a 10mm group and PB free 20mm - not awful but not great....

Prometheus

I wonder why we haven't seen any lead free Dymanic air bullets given that H&N bought Prometheus

Or did they just turn this design in to lead pellets ?

H&N obtained a wealth of knowledge from Hugh Earl

They must have something up their sleeves or in the pipe line.
    Last edited by HW777; 11-06-2022 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Added text
    Hw77+7

Thank you for sharing that with us, Frog.

I take my hat off and applaud anyone who is willing to undertake this sort of testing at the moment. Personally I'm reluctant to put any of this lead free stuff down any of my existing barrels until (and, hopefully, it might not happen?) I have to. But I appreciate the selfless sacrifice and expense that people like yourself are going to.

Again, nothing that I've seen results-wise on the lead free stuff instills confidence.

Hopefully we get to swerve this lead free nonsense. But if not, surely the makers have got it covered?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by HW55T View Post
    I wonder why we haven't seen any lead free Dymanic air bullets given that H&N bought Prometheus

Or did they just turn this design in to lead pellets ?

H&N obtained a wealth of knowledge from Hugh Earl

They must have something up their sleeves or in the pipe line.
    Wish they did, personally I’d prefer lead free rounds. The Dynamic 4.46 versions were very respectable through my S410 over 20m and had no problems at dispatching vermin. Through my new r10 SE all the current lead free offerings (x7) were pretty shocking including BSAs own. The results were so bad I’m worried I might have a lemon until I try it with lead. Seems such a pity that these shiny beautifully made rounds are comparatively useless.

Incredible information, exactly why I joined the forum.
    Thank you for your post

Great Info Guys

We only recently had a long debate about the future of lead pellets at our range and if we will continue to use them or make the switch over to lead free, after reading the results on here i don't think there is a usable alternative for all of the sports disciplines currently. So until we can have guidance from local authorities about the use of lead pellets then or the ban of them they shall be the preferred projectile / pellet of choice for our range. Once again thank you for the good insight.

Lead free pellets

I can understand why one might want to avoid lead being sprayed about the environment however there is naturally occurring lead already in the environment and I cannot imagine what airgunners add to this makes a lot of difference.

At a range there could be a facility to enable spent shot to be collected to minimise potential pollution further reducing the potential harm.

On a clay ground where thousands of cartridges are spraying multiple loads of shot over a wide area I can see how this might be seen as more of an issue.

As a matter of interest I bought some Gamo "Raptors" in both .177 and .22. Haven't tried the .22s yet but the .177s simply don't work in lower powered CO2 guns. I tried them is my S&W 586 and they just jammed up the action. Same in a SIG MCX. It seems they are too hard (or large) to enter the barrel with the relatively low energy from these.

I'll probably use the .22s in a springer but if anyone wants the .177s you're welcome to them.

I tried Gamo PBA's back in 2011 or 12, while looking for light weight pellets for my .25 sub 12, god they were bad then & stupidly expensive.