Thread: Lead free pellet test review

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Targets at 40yds

Short version none are really acceptable

https://ibb.co/CmnKcgf

https://ibb.co/C7G1DTv

Lead Free 177

I bought some LF pellets in .177 to test last weekend, H&N Barracuda Green, H&N FTT Green and RWS Hyperdome.
    I used my FX typhoon as a test bed which has a Weihrauch barrel on it (rifled, choked).
    All gave satisfactory groups at 25 yards but were like a shotgun at 40 yards.
    I cleaned the barrel thoroughly before I started and lubed the pellets.

I have the original smooth twist barrel for the Typhoon still, I will try that at some point.
    Has anybody any experience of a smooth twist barrel with lead free pellets?
    Regards
    Dave
    Last edited by egghead; 02-06-2022 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Short version none are really acceptable

https://ibb.co/CmnKcgf

https://ibb.co/C7G1DTv
    Thanks for going to the trouble of doing this, but you have confirmed my thoughts. They don't work!
    I was getting 7mm Centre to centre 5 shot groups at 40 yards with .177 in wind last night trying a new barrel on my Steyr with JSB made from good old lead.

I have seen Gary Chillingworth testing .177 on you tube, and they are terrible at any real distance, totally useless for hunting or targets.
    I will have a chat to him next time I see him and see if there are any new possibilities on the horizon.

I personally dont think they will be able to make lead free happen, even if they try and ban the sale of it.
    The good thing is that BASC seem to be changing their tune a bit after it has come out about the evidence given in the EU is flawed.
    They have stated in their latest news that they will fight to ensure lead is not banned where alternatives are not available. Who knows with the clowns in Westminster though.
    Last edited by DEAN C.; 03-06-2022 at 04:08 PM.
    BASC

Fingers and everything else well and truly crossed, Dean, and thank you for "keeping a finger on the pulse" on this.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by DEAN C. View Post
    Thanks for going to the trouble of doing this, but you have confirmed my thoughts. They don't work!
    I was getting 7mm Centre to centre 5 shot groups at 40 yards with .177 in wind last night trying a new barrel on my Steyr with JSB made from good old lead.

I have seen Gary Chillingworth testing .177 on you tube, and they are terrible at any real distance, totally useless for hunting or targets.
    I will have a chat to him next time I see him and see if there are any new possibilities on the horizon.

I personally dont think they will be able to make lead free happen, even if they try and ban the sale of it.
    The good thing is that BASC seem to be changing their tune a bit after it has come out about the evidence given in the EU is flawed.
    They have stated in their latest news that they will fight to ensure lead is not banned where alternatives are not available. Who knows with the clowns in Westminster though.
    Has to be said Gary's test on the tube was largely pointless because he was chasing the POA around the target which is a schoolboy error pick an aim point & stick with it,
    Unless of course he was deliberately trying to make them look worse than they actually are

The BASC has always had the position that until there's an accurate alternative lead cannot be banned, but some people seemed to expect them to fight against any change

Yes, I was also slightly puzzled at Gary's modus operandi, AB.

Nothing I've seen so far makes me warm to any of the lead free fodder currently available.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

On the other site I have compared lead free Baracudas with Baracuda lights - 10 shots of each at 40yds. Long story short is the lead free group was close to twice the diameter (4 times the area) of the lead group. Leaded Baracuda lights a 10mm group and PB free 20mm - not awful but not great....

Prometheus

I wonder why we haven't seen any lead free Dymanic air bullets given that H&N bought Prometheus

Or did they just turn this design in to lead pellets ?

H&N obtained a wealth of knowledge from Hugh Earl

They must have something up their sleeves or in the pipe line.
    Last edited by HW777; 11-06-2022 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Added text
    Hw77+7

Thank you for sharing that with us, Frog.

I take my hat off and applaud anyone who is willing to undertake this sort of testing at the moment. Personally I'm reluctant to put any of this lead free stuff down any of my existing barrels until (and, hopefully, it might not happen?) I have to. But I appreciate the selfless sacrifice and expense that people like yourself are going to.

Again, nothing that I've seen results-wise on the lead free stuff instills confidence.

Hopefully we get to swerve this lead free nonsense. But if not, surely the makers have got it covered?

Quote Originally Posted by HW55T View Post
    I wonder why we haven't seen any lead free Dymanic air bullets given that H&N bought Prometheus

Or did they just turn this design in to lead pellets ?

H&N obtained a wealth of knowledge from Hugh Earl

They must have something up their sleeves or in the pipe line.
    Wish they did, personally I’d prefer lead free rounds. The Dynamic 4.46 versions were very respectable through my S410 over 20m and had no problems at dispatching vermin. Through my new r10 SE all the current lead free offerings (x7) were pretty shocking including BSAs own. The results were so bad I’m worried I might have a lemon until I try it with lead. Seems such a pity that these shiny beautifully made rounds are comparatively useless.