Thread: Lead free pellet test review

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Did you clean the barrel first or was the barrel leaded up from previous pellets.

Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    Did you clean the barrel first or was the barrel leaded up from previous pellets.
    No, I just took the pellets straight from the tin, same as I do testing different brands, No cleaning, no scope adjustment just load & shoot.
    I will add that I did clean the barrel when I first built this Rapid up from parts and it's only had maybe 200 shots before yesterdays test.

I am well in to the second tin of .25 & the scorpion is as accurate with them now as with the first shot.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    No, I just took the pellets straight from the tin, same as I do testing different brands, No cleaning, no scope adjustment just load & shoot.
    I will add that I did clean the barrel when I first built this Rapid up from parts and it's only had maybe 200 shots before yesterdays test.

I am well in to the second tin of .25 & the scorpion is as accurate with them now as with the first shot.
    There is a possibility that the lead already in your barrel is helping the non-lead ones make a smoother way through - less friction. Not an insurmountable problem for non-lead - perhaps we will see moly coated non-lead pellets in the future.

Well yes I suppose there is always that possibility, only one way to tell I suppose

JSB .22 test repeated with a clean barrel,

Afternoon turned in to a bit of a nightmare from the start, as I wanted to check zero on my MFR .20, but it blew the seal as I screwed the bottle on ,
    and then because it's blazing sun the shooting shed was 34*C inside.

Anyway on to the test, having cleaned the barrel there is no lead control only 5 shot groups of JSB Pb free, Groups 1,2,3 are no lube, groups 4,5,6 are lubed

Now I must be honest there was a touch of user error I'd set up my NV add-on last night, & forgot to reset the scope ocular back to my day setting, it was only after group 4 that I noticed the tipex mark was in the wrong place

Groups 5 & 6 were with the ocular reset to the day mark

I decided I had to reshot the test, see groups 7-12 where the first shot of each group was off giving groups of 4+1, I suspect that was down to me getting hot & annoyed.

anyway, targets with a a clean barrel.

https://ibb.co/kmtj487
    https://ibb.co/QnYcnbF

Thank you for the information to date, AB, and your fine efforts.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

BSA Green star

Now got hold of some GreenStar 12.96gn, I believe these are identical to the H&N Barracuda Green so I'm not going test the H&N unless someone can prove different.

These are, I would say, better than the FTT green when unlubed straight from the tin, but strangely the FTT showed slightly better when lubed.
    The point of note is that they are the first lead free that has raised the rifle MV giving 642 fps for 11.86ftlb (11.62 with lead)

At least the chrono had no issue reading these.

target,
    https://ibb.co/vjwqzHD