Thread: Sportamatic bb rifle

Sportamatic bb rifle

I have two sportamatic fairground rifles and would like them refurbished if their is any member who can do this I would like to set up the stall with the red stars for my grandsons

Not sure if Lawrie Amatruda on here would know about these, he's very good with vintage co2 and pcp amongst others, drop him a pm

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    They work off a hose type system.if it's the same model as the ones l had.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    They work off a hose type system.if it's the same model as the ones l had.
    Micky, do you know if this type of fairground rifle was ever used in U.K. or were they mainly used in the USA ? My experiences of the 50's and 60's were that a lot of fairgrounds used Browning SA22 .22 short rimfires in those days. Old codgers on here may remember them. Not sure if they used frangible rounds at the time.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

The SA22 I was shooting at a funfair in Scarborough, rather a long time ago now, wasn't using frangiable rounds. One came back & hit me on the forehead.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Micky, do you know if this type of fairground rifle was ever used in U.K. or were they mainly used in the USA ? My experiences of the 50's and 60's were that a lot of fairgrounds used Browning SA22 .22 short rimfires in those days. Old codgers on here may remember them. Not sure if they used frangible rounds at the time.

Baz
    Hi Baz, l don't remember them at the fair grounds where l was brought up in the black country only the .22 rimfires and l am a old codger. l think they must have been used over here as a mate of mine bought a job lot of rifles and pistols from a antiques fair a few years ago that need repair. and l have seen a few job lots come up at auctions over here as well.

ATB
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Mzee View Post
    The SA22 I was shooting at a funfair in Scarborough, rather a long time ago now, wasn't using frangiable rounds. One came back & hit me on the forehead.
    Wow, you were lucky not to lose and eye. I loved those rifles so much, ended up with two, the .22 short version and the .22 L.R. One you loaded the mag through the side of the butt and the other through the butt pad. Never had a mal function with the semi auto on them.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

I've seen a few of these at fairgrounds, pretty sure they were at the Kursal, Southend, & there was a varriation which was loosely based on a Browning with twin handles like their heavy mg. Think the trick with the star targets was to cut them out, walking your shots round the periphery instead of trying to shoot it out.

22 pumps & semi autos.... they were fun there were some up at Gt Yarmouth years back. Funny how the cork firing gat type rifles were double chained so you couldn't fire anywhere except in a "safe" direction but the 22's were not tied up at all. They were frangible rounds at Yarmouth.

Remember going to a pier that had a 22 range under the decking, you fired out to sea into the backstop. Only problem was there were gaps all over the place where you could see water. It was years ago & I cant remember where it was but I do remember thinking I'd give the boat trips a miss.

They used to have Sportmatics at the funfair in Barmouth in the mid 1970's.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."