Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sussex Armoury Jackal Numbering

Sussex Armoury Jackal Numbering

I would be interested in learning what the highest known serial number for an SA Jackal is?

I know of a Hi-Power numbered 05294 and would be interested in three things:

1. A higher number.

2. What mode is your higher number stamped on?

3. Do you have a jackal that can be positively dated - perhaps you still have original dated receipt or other provenance? I'd be interested in the number and date if you do.

My understanding is all models shared the same serial number range, as the Parabellum, AR7, Hi-Power and their wooden stocked derivatives only differed in barrel length and stock style but please tell me if you know better.

Thank you in advance.

John M
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

The s/n of my Jackal is 06675 stamped on LHS just in front of loading tap lever.

I bought it S/H a number of years ago and there was no paperwork with it so I have no idea of its purchase date.

Aubrey

Quote Originally Posted by AC99 View Post
    The s/n of my Jackal is 06675 stamped on LHS just in front of loading tap lever.

I bought it S/H a number of years ago and there was no paperwork with it so I have no idea of its purchase date.

Aubrey
    Thank you Aubrey,

Which model of Jackal is it please?

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Thank you Aubrey,

Which model of Jackal is it please?

Kind regards,

John
    It's the Hi-Power John.

Quote Originally Posted by AC99 View Post
    It's the Hi-Power John.
    Thank you Aubrey - that number helps.

Any more for any more?

Kind regards,

John

Not a direct answer to your specific questions, but my .22” Parabellum is s/n 02630. May help give an idea of production volumes over the years.

Hi John

I will give you a list of mine tomorrow when I get on my computer for the detailed files.

Very Big Mike on here had the Jackals Lair website which was a font of knowledge but I believe it is not live anymore.

Regards
    Paddy
    BE-HAPPY-OK

Thank you Geezer and Paddy,

Yes I recall the Jackal's lair and it is a shame that resource is no longer available. I wish I'd downloaded some of the information on it when it was still live.

Kind regards,

John

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham

Thank you Jon - I've save that for the Jubilee weekend.

Thank you Harvey too for the SN.

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Thank you Geezer and Paddy,

Yes I recall the Jackal's lair and it is a shame that resource is no longer available. I wish I'd downloaded some of the information on it when it was still live.

Kind regards,

John
    Hi John

Here are some stats for you in my collection.

Oldest Serial# Jackal is a S.A Parabellum 3971, to 'Newest' Serial# Jackal is a Hi-Power 11388

If you count Air Arms Oldest Serial# is a Hi-Power 17314, to 'Newest' Serial# is a Hi-Power 34562.

Now if you you count Wood Stocked Air Arms Oldest Serial# is a Camargue 22759, to 'Newest' Serial# is a SE90 40920.

Regards
    Paddy
    BE-HAPPY-OK

Quote Originally Posted by Pad. E View Post
    Hi John

Here are some stats for you in my collection.

Oldest Serial# Jackal is a S.A Parabellum 3971, to 'Newest' Serial# Jackal is a Hi-Power 11388

If you count Air Arms Oldest Serial# is a Hi-Power 17314, to 'Newest' Serial# is a Hi-Power 34562.

Now if you you count Wood Stocked Air Arms Oldest Serial# is a Camargue 22759, to 'Newest' Serial# is a SE90 40920.

Regards
    Paddy
    Interesting. Assuming SA numbers started at 0000, 100, or 1000 in 1977, that s/ns were sequential, and bearing in mind that the SE90 was only briefly produced 1989-91, that suggests around 40,000 rifles over 23ish years, so an average annual production rate of around 2,000 - though I imagine a fair bit more in the 70s through mid-80s, and tailing off quickly after new fixed-barrel rifles like the HW77 - and eventually the TX - appeared on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Interesting. Assuming SA numbers started at 0000, 100, or 1000 in 1977, that s/ns were sequential, and bearing in mind that the SE90 was only briefly produced 1989-91, that suggests around 40,000 rifles over 23ish years, so an average annual production rate of around 2,000 - though I imagine a fair bit more in the 70s through mid-80s, and tailing off quickly after new fixed-barrel rifles like the HW77 - and eventually the TX - appeared on the market.
    Hi

Some math's you done there

Also to take into consideration, is that some very early Air Arms models were put together with Sussex Armoury Parts. So serial # could be from mixed parts, and proper sequential order would be hard to ascertain in the transition period.

Though I Reckon I'm thinking too much into it.

What is interesting though is that I must have a very early Camargue & a rather late Hi-Power in my collection

Regards
    Paddy
    BE-HAPPY-OK

Quote Originally Posted by Pad. E View Post
    Hi

Some math's you done there

Regards
    Paddy
    I don’t just have the O-level, I have the A/O. 🤓

Production numbers do interest me. Not just in assessing rarity, but some guns that were all over the mags and the ads for years appear to have been made/sold in rather small numbers.