Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Reduce recoil ?

How to Reduce recoil ?

Hi
    I guess to reduce the recoil you have to decrease the power.
    currently I'm shooting at 14 fpe and the test of the pellets on the scope does not hold the pellets.
    I see a lot of videos where the guys pose superimposed pellets and nothing moves...

Heavier pellets?
    HW 77K .22,Gammo Hornet .22 BSA 3-9 x 50 Night light ,HW 40 .177,Gamo Maxxim Elite .22 multi shot, Beeman P17 .177 red dot sight ,SMK CP2 co2 with Hawk 3-9 x 50.Slingshots PPMG+TTF PPMG mk 2 ott PPMG ott Original custom made solid Bronze, Number 15 of 20

yes it's true using heavier weights, I felt a difference...

Reducing power will reduce recoil for sure also adding weight to your rifle will help.
    Cheers
    Dave
    People said smile things could get worse, so I smiled and they did!

Could be the set up of the gun too. What are you shooting?
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Hw77k v mach glided kit, run at 13.8/14 fpe, shooting target and plinking.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc of France View Post
    Hw77k v mach glided kit, run at 13.8/14 fpe, shooting target and plinking.
    It would shoot loverly at 10ftlb and you probably wouldn't notice a huge difference plinking.
    Master Debater

After a lot of experimentation (no power limits here in Norway) I ended up with setting up my wife's 97k and my 77k between 10,5 and 11 fpe.
    Both are in .177", and the goal is as always easy manageable flat shooting recoil regardless of power output.
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc of France View Post
    Hi
    I guess to reduce the recoil you have to decrease the power.
    currently I'm shooting at 14 fpe and the test of the pellets on the scope does not hold the pellets.
    I see a lot of videos where the guys pose superimposed pellets and nothing moves...
    Or add weight

At 14 ft lbs with a properly matched transfer port/spring/guide set up - I'd expect not much difference from uk power rifle, certainly pellet easily capable of balancing on a scope turret
    Last edited by PCPShooter; 11-05-2022 at 04:09 PM.
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Softer spring with more preload (to get the power back). Lighter piston, lighter pellets. Less power.

More weight high up will reduce the lift when it recoils. Try chunky steel mounts as they will be heavier.

BB

Just get a Giss Diana and be done with it.)
    They do the best multiple stacked pellet balancing trick.

Measured recoil displacement is a product of the piston stroke divided by the relationship between the weight of the internal components as compared to the all-up weight. So, in very basic terms, if you have a 90mm stroke and the gun weighs ten times more than the piston (plus half the mainspring mass?) you'll have 9mm recoil displacement. You can't argue with those physics. But that's a very simplistic calculation. The first forward piston stroke will not be completed due to piston bounce, so has to be taken into account. And it might well be the piston bounce (surge) that is the perceived "recoil" and which might be more detrimental. Many of these things can be mitigated by tuning etc.....longer, softer spring, rate, preload, piston weight, TP size, pellet used, seal fit etc. But also, as mentioned, by altering the weight and balance of the gun. In some cases, unless it is severe or definitely detrimental, it can be wiser to put it to the back of your mind, spend quality time getting to know your combination intimately, gelling with it and getting the practice in.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Nicely put Tony, also be aware it's not just the amount of recoil ie the movement, but the energy in that movement, surge is more detrimental to ease of use in my opinion.
    Oh and the pellet balancing thing doesn't show you if a gun is easy to shoot or not .

Always found the 77 even at that power level and in .177 easy to shoot.
    Recoil just needs to consistent, then it can be managed. 77 always nudged forward, tx always up, both easy to manage.
    If you need the power and less recoil Try HW77+23!
    VAYA CON DIOS

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    So, in very basic terms, if you have a 90mm stroke and the gun weighs ten times more than the piston (plus half the mainspring mass?) you'll have 9mm recoil displacement.
    Plus a third of the piston mass is more accurate in my experience, Tony.