Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
Did you get any sleep last night, Mick, or did the noise keep you awake?
Funny enough, Tone,

I've had the munchies since recovering from Covid and as Shirl was out yesterday afternoon I fired up the BBQ and cooked 10 burgers and half a pack of bacon and pigged out instead of building up the Mercury.

But, this morning I heated the end of the Mercury cocking link and battered it with a hammer until it fitted the HW85 breech block.
I also had to alter the cocking shoe end of the link as the Weihrauch cocking link geometry is different to a BSA Mercury and the link was binding on the piston --- all good after a bit of filing.

Now the bit you're waiting for, with the same stroke as before, the same Spring and preload as before I fired a few pellets over the chrono.

Superdomes are now leaving the barrel at 630fp.

Hobbies are zipping along at 735fps --- no that's not a typo, 735fps.

As I haven't drilled and taped for the front stock bolt bracket or altered the stock to fit the new breech block yet I was firing just the action over the chrono --- it felt quite calm compared to some.

I have found out this morning that after all my efforts I managed to weld the cylinder onto the breech 0.5mm out of alignment with the cocking slot --- no big deal as the cocking arm floats by 2mm in the slot anyway.
What's more annoying is that the scope dovetails are 1.5mm out of alignment.
After carefully measuring the cylinder I found that BSA had machined the dovetails 1mm off centre at the factory.
Even the dovetails don't really matter as I fitted a one piece mount and it sat perfectly level with the top of the breech block --- I'm buggered if I know how that works, but I'm not complaining.

Now I know everything is working as It should I'll get on with bluing the action and altering the stock in the next week or so.

All the best Mick