Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My Mercury Ratting Rig

My Mercury Ratting Rig

Feeling somewhat Patriotic this weekend, and not wanting you good folks to think that I only appreciate fine Airguns from the Fatherland, I thought I'd show you my BSA Mercury ratting rig.

For some strange reason I rarely show this to anyone and it's never been used at the Boinger Bash. :-

image.jpg

Unfortunately, when I got it the previous owner had decided to customise the stock into a skeleton stock and had tastefully added some images of flying pheasants --- Sparing no expense on this gun I wrapped the skeleton stock in electrical tape. :-

image.jpg

image.jpg

To take care of the infamous BSA barrel wobble I lovingly fitted a 1/4" BSF bolt through the breech jaws and Meteor MK 5 barrel.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Now when I say this is my ratting rig, I don't mean it's shot hundreds of rats --- it's killed thousands.

And the reason that I've got it out now is that I've decided it's time that I gave the old girl a service/tune and a little makeover --- I actually bought a new stock for her ten years ago off here.

She's probably the best £10 I ever spent.

All the best Mick

Planning for some piston weight tinkering?
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Planning for some piston weight tinkering?
    Funny enough, evert.

I'm just sat here with a calculator working out how many 12mm holes I'll have to drill in the piston body to remove 50grams in weight from the 300gram piston before adding 20grams of liner and top hat to take it back up to 270grams.

Looks like 30 is the answer.

I'm also looking at weight reduction of the ally piston head which is about 20grams from memory.

All the best Mick

Those pheasant pictures are something else - they remind me of a magic lantern investigation into whether a galloping horse ever looses contact with the ground. Perhaps you could place a series of rat pictures in there?
    Best Regards

Simon

I've got some slug guns.

The rat look

Great guns Mercury’s one of my favourites Judging by the number of vermin it as accounted for it has earned a little TLC great post mick
    Regards
    Vic

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Isn't the Queen from the Fatherland

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Isn't the Queen from the Fatherland

Pete
    That's a bit like fight club, Pete --- first rule about it is that we don't talk about it.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Funny enough, evert.

I'm just sat here with a calculator working out how many 12mm holes I'll have to drill in the piston body to remove 50grams in weight from the 300gram piston before adding 20grams of liner and top hat to take it back up to 270grams.

Looks like 30 is the answer.

I'm also looking at weight reduction of the ally piston head which is about 20grams from memory.

All the best Mick
    As I hear you don't like milling... two holes at each end, and then a gentle application of the precision angle grinder to join them up gives a cocking slot type weight saving much quicker. two slots, even spaced with the actuall cocking slot, should get you there
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

You could sell that stock described as new in the sales section, electrical tape included As fashions come and go I wonder when we'll see a revival of hand carvings and hunting scenes.
    I shot an Airsporter for the first time at the last boinger bash and it was nice to shoot.

You can't beat a good ratter! Nice one, Mick.

Much preferring your breech bolt to the factory's attempt, too.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    As I hear you don't like milling... two holes at each end, and then a gentle application of the precision angle grinder to join them up gives a cocking slot type weight saving much quicker. two slots, even spaced with the actuall cocking slot, should get you there
    Ah, Jon.

I'd be happy to carve out a couple of slots with an angle grinder but I reckon the piston would be stronger if I just drilled it to lighten it.

Besides which, I also like the idea of having my piston looking like a piece of cheese off Wallace and Gromit.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by ratbuster2240 View Post
    I shot an Airsporter for the first time at the last boinger bash and it was nice to shoot.
    There's the thing, James.

The Airsporter and Mercury has the same bore and stroke as my Original 35 which is such a nice firing cycle it inspired me to have another look at my BSAs.

As the Mercury uses the same piston as the MK4-6 Airsporter, I'm hoping to upgrade my two Airsporter S when I've settled on a tune for the Mercury.

All the best Mick

IF iI remember correctly, my own bastard Mercury has a piston milled for a sight rail. That might help a bit?
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    IF iI remember correctly, my own bastard Mercury has a piston milled for a sight rail. That might help a bit?
    Yes, evert.

The late Airsporter/Mercuries had a cutout in the top of the piston skirt to clear the Maxgrip scope rail lugs.
    I'd prefer to keep the full skirt to retain the option of fitting a bearing if I feel the gun needs one.

All the best Mick

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    best airsporter tune is to chop the spigot, thread m8, stick on adapter for a diana 28mm seal, job done. +5mm stroke and a seal that actually works, transforms them.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.