Thread: slix shot nipples

slix shot nipples

anyone tried making their own ?

I had (emphasis on the 'had') a Pedersoli Le Page in .36" cal that kept blowing the hammer back. It was fitted with an aftermarket copper Beryllium Nipple and I drilled a 1mm cross hole in the nipple cone a la Slix Shot hoping this would sort the problem. It was an absolute b*st*rd to drill and made no difference whatsoever! I eventually replaced the mainspring and all was well. Incidentally a previous owner had polished (and lightened) the original mainspring thinking it would help with accuracy, which maybe it did for a while?

bought my 1858 second hand around 20 years ago and i think the main spring as been lightened.
    i can see flames coming out of the sides of the caps on firing as they do split......i reckon the hammer does bounce slightly causing the caps to fall and jam the action.
    i could buy another spring but it doesnt bother me that much......ruger is in a totally different world and is jam free

Revolver springs

From memory I recall the Ruger has a coil mainspring? I've never owned one but have seen and fired a couple of different models. I did like the non adjustable sighted version and the Super Blackhawk (back in the day) was a particular favourite. The Old Armies have a definite following, it's a shame none of the other manufacturers did anything similar? By the way, not including the first and second generation Colt's in this statement!

Quote Originally Posted by BaskervilleDog View Post
    From memory I recall the Ruger has a coil mainspring? I've never owned one but have seen and fired a couple of different models. I did like the non adjustable sighted version and the Super Blackhawk (back in the day) was a particular favourite. The Old Armies have a definite following, it's a shame none of the other manufacturers did anything similar? By the way, not including the first and second generation Colt's in this statement!
    ruger is a different beast all together....super trigger / cocks easily and doesnt jam
    only downside ....can be a faff rebuilding as the revolver is in 2 pieces and you need to join them and keep the plunger behind the trigger depressed....always worried about busting springs
    biggest issue for me is the bullet plunger / seater is in 3 pieces and linked together by slots, much prefer the remington /spencer arrangement