Thread: Hints on Air Rifle Shooting by F.E. Morton

Hints on Air Rifle Shooting by F.E. Morton

After 3 weeks my booklet arrived from the UK to be put in my Webley Mark2 case. I assumed it was a copy, but it sure looks old and right to me? Even a little rust on the staples. Is there a easy way to tell the copies? Is this old enough for a ultra violet test of the paper?

“Old postcards, books, signs, photos, and other paper products made before the late 1930s rarely glow under a black light.”

It’s the 6th edition right on edge of the late 1930’s, and I think the 6th edition is the one copied?

It passed the black light test, I guess that does it.
    Last edited by 45flint; 08-06-2022 at 04:35 PM.

Normally the price you pay will indicate if it is real or repro. The sixth edition repros are great and complement a tidy Service.

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Normally the price you pay will indicate if it is real or repro. The sixth edition repros are great and complement a tidy Service.
    That’s the going price for a original?

All the 6th. edition repros have the same pattern cover, so if you can post a picture of yours it shouldn't be difficult to tell one way or the other.
    I can't remember what I sold the last repro for, but it wouldn't have been more than £20, and quite possible less.
    I still have a few of these but they've been kept in a drawer, therefore no rust is present on the staples, but the few originals I still have all show slight signs of rust.
    I've seen originals of various series go for anything up to £110, but £50-£60 seemed to be the average although I haven't seen any for sale for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    All the 6th. edition repros have the same pattern cover, so if you can post a picture of yours it shouldn't be difficult to tell one way or the other.
    I can't remember what I sold the last repro for, but it wouldn't have been more than £20, and quite possible less.
    I still have a few of these but they've been kept in a drawer, therefore no rust is present on the staples, but the few originals I still have all show slight signs of rust.
    I've seen originals of various series go for anything up to £110, but £50-£60 seemed to be the average although I haven't seen any for sale for quite some time.
    Paid 25 pounds thought I was paying top price for a repro?

That is the front cover as used on the 6th edition repro.
    I wouldn't have thought that was too much over the top, as I haven't sold one for several years, so would have expected the price to increase slightly.
    Gives me an idea of what to ask when I sell my few remaining repros.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    That is the front cover as used on the 6th edition repro.
    I wouldn't have thought that was too much over the top, as I haven't sold one for several years, so would have expected the price to increase slightly.
    Gives me an idea of what to ask when I sell my few remaining repros.
    These are crazy good repos! They would fool anyone. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    These are crazy good repos! They would fool anyone. Lol
    They certainly are and so they should be for all the work that went into producing them. I was not involved, but I do know the person who produced them in the eighties

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    I sold a original one on last year with some damage to it, bought by a member on here for £46

Webley

I bought an original one from an auction site for £38 it was and still is in near new condition, I then put my old scruffy one on the same auction site and got £125 for it! These original booklets are hard to find in good condition, rare to find them for sale so they do command a premium price.
    Cheers Paul

Thanks for that Paul.
    It's prompted me to think about putting my remaining originals on the same site, as I still have a 2nd. edition in very clean condition (no fold out diagram in this edition), a 7th. edition in very clean condition complete with fold out diagram, apart from the rear cover which looks like a rodent has had a small nibble at the top, and a couple of 8th. editions with the brown covers, both in good condition but one has oil soaked pages.

Webley

I have the eighth and ninth editions. Both have brown marbled effect the later one has the red triangle top right corner. Also page 13 on earlier one has a full page photo showing how to change the barrel the ninth edt does not, there are some other small changes as well. I would put up pics if I knew how!
    Thanks Paul