Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A question about FFP or SFP Scopes

I've no idea & reading what I can to learn more. I shoot mainly at 10x so it will make no difference to me from what I've read so far.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

I have both and quite honestly I cannot see that FFP is any better than SFP, especially if hunting in an evening diminishing light level.

Quote Originally Posted by bill57 View Post
    Is that Deeley Plaza?

Scopes

I struggled with scopes after starting to wear glasses but seem to be getting for me now.
    Took a while to get set up initially and then just left on the settings i got used to.

Just had to Google deeley plaza..
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Apologies, especially to Tea Kettle, for the incorrect spelling.

My uncle was John Kennedy by the way

I've looked through a few FFP scopes, and perhaps because it is such a different experience, I've not been keen on them.

Recently I've come to realise, my eyes/brain work better aligning concentric circles than a cross and a circle. This means, for me, a centre dot ret is more important than whether it if FFP or SFP. Until I get the perfect centre dot ret for my eyes/brain I have taken to using a holdover mildot dot as my aim reference. The SWFA centre dot MOA ret is near perfect except the centre dot is a bit small - just found out the illuminated Vector Optics Veyron ret has only the centre dot illuminated, I am living in hope this will be perfect for me.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post
    Just had to Google deeley plaza..
    Me too...

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I've looked through a few FFP scopes, and perhaps because it is such a different experience, I've not been keen on them.

Recently I've come to realise, my eyes/brain work better aligning concentric circles than a cross and a circle. This means, for me, a centre dot ret is more important than whether it if FFP or SFP. Until I get the perfect centre dot ret for my eyes/brain I have taken to using a holdover mildot dot as my aim reference. The SWFA centre dot MOA ret is near perfect except the centre dot is a bit small - just found out the illuminated Vector Optics Veyron ret has only the centre dot illuminated, I am living in hope this will be perfect for me.
    If using SFP try adjusting the mag to set hold over, under & windage substrates on to a ring of the circle rather than use the centre cross

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post

Have a look at the sightron range, they do a centre dot and cross hair which I find works well
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    If you do have a condition where on some days your vision alters - FFP does offer the real advantage to make the reticle bolder and easier to see.
    But choose your reticle wisely - some try to be too clever and make themselves indistinct at low mags.
    The good ones do not.

I'm a big fan of the BSA TMD reticle...
    I love fine cross hairs and nearly always shoot on 10x while hunting. Only turn mag down for inside barn work and then only to 6x. My issue with these images is that for the projected range I wouldnt shoot quarry on 4x, more likely to be the 14x but for me the cross hairs are too bold, pretty much block out the sweet spot id be aiming for.
    VAYA CON DIOS

Quote Originally Posted by gsxrman View Post
    My issue with these images is that for the projected range I wouldnt shoot quarry on 4x, more likely to be the 14x but for me the cross hairs are too bold, pretty much block out the sweet spot id be aiming for.
    I'm pretty sure they're a demonstration of principle, not actual scope view

Not everyone likes, needs or understands the practical use of FFP, but they're another useful tool for a shooter.
    Last edited by angrybear; 22-06-2022 at 03:40 PM.

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions.
    After some more reading some looking through and a lot more thinking, with my evens as they are I think I’ll be choosing. FFP.
    Cheers,

JP

Quote Originally Posted by gsxrman View Post
    I love fine cross hairs and nearly always shoot on 10x while hunting. Only turn mag down for inside barn work and then only to 6x. My issue with these images is that for the projected range I wouldnt shoot quarry on 4x, more likely to be the 14x but for me the cross hairs are too bold, pretty much block out the sweet spot id be aiming for.
    I'd venture that at airgun ranges even at 14x you'd struggle to get a group you could hide behind the crosshair

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I'm pretty sure they're a demonstration of principle, not actual scope view
    Actually the images are pretty close to the actual view to be fair.