Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The History of the Simmons Whitetail Classic Scope?

chris u'5 is offline I'm a dumbass, it's official!!

The History of the Simmons Whitetail Classic Scope?

Ever since I was a young lad and was given my first air rifle I absolutely adored the Simmons Whitetail Classic range of scopes.

The finish looked so futuristic at the time (and still does in my eyes) but with no income of my own I could never afford to buy one.

I was particularly fascinated by the 1.5-5 x 20 model as it was like nothing I had ever seen before and when I finally started earning my own money the day came where I could finally buy my own... what a day

Anyway, I was browsing through one the recent issues of one of the air gun magazines and read an article in which it was stated "never sell a decent scope!"

Well I could have kicked myself! How could have I have ever dreamt of selling the scope I desired so much when I was a boy?! I was so angry with myself.

But unbelievably at the weekend I decided to have a look through my kit and have a bit of a clear out and what did I find??? My Whitetail Classic 1.5-5 x 20 in mint condition, still in it's box, along with the covers and instructions!

It got me thinking about my early days as a shooter and I have a few questions about this range of scopes and who better to ask than the experts on my favourite forum!

1. When it was released was it considered a 'high end' scope?

2. Does anyone remember roughly how much they cost?

3. I'm guessing by the name they were advertised towards deer hunters but were they popular with airgunners as well?

4. Was a 1.5-5 x 20 scope quite unusual at the time? Did many companies make this type of scope? I see they are becoming more popular with AR15 shooters for example.

5. I know we are spoiled these days with mil-dots, IR lenses, AO etc etc but do you think they can 'still hold their own' in such an advanced market?

Anyway, nothing serious, just a subject that has been on my mind since the weekend and I'd love to hear any answers to my questions and especially your own thoughts and memories on the aptly named Whitetail Classic

Thank you for your time guys,

Chris
    "Who's the only one here that knows illegal ninja moves from the government?"

Wtc

The WTC range was released around 1995.
    4 x 32 = £95.
    4 x 40 = £110
    2.8-8 × 36 = £150
    3.5-10 x 40 = £160
    3.5-10 x 50 = £200
    4-12 x 44 = £230
    6.5-20 x 50 = £250
    These prices were of 1995. Seems the little 1.5 came out later? Wal-Mart in the USA had simmons do the ATV range which had the same finish as the WTC.
    Still a nice period scope to this day.
    Mach 1.5
    Last edited by Mach 1.5; 14-06-2022 at 06:18 PM.

Knew...

...the chap who handled their "introduction " to the UK. Would have been early 90's?

He was a decent FT shot as well.

sbd
    Pardon?

Simmons

Richard North. He used to shoot at out club. World champion at one stage. Whilest working for Simmons he got them to commission Venom to produce a special Mach 2 called the Pro Mach so they could show case the new WTC range. May AGW 1995 the rifle took centre spread with a WTC on top. The rifle cost £3098.00 to make but Simmons wanted the best. To my knowledge Richard still owns the rifle and will never part with it. Mach 1.5
    Last edited by Mach 1.5; 14-06-2022 at 06:19 PM.

Remember seeing Richard on undercover millionaire a few years back. Didn't he have a nasty car accident?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I loved the 4 x 40, 2.5-8 x 36 AO, and the 4-12 x 44 AO
    I liked the 3-10 x 40 and 1.5-5 x 20
    not a fan of the 3-10 x 50 or 6.5-20 x 50 though

wish I'd kept the little 2.5-8 x 36

the only one I've not had is the 4 x 32
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Simmons were never considered a “high end” scope in the grand scheme of things, even the Whitetail Classic range. They were popular amongst air gunners but weren’t in the same league as German/Austrian offerings such as Schmidt & Bender, Swarovski, Zeiss etc.

I remember Ramsbottoms sold the 1.5-5x20 for around £70 in the early 2000’s.

They may have been marketed as a budget deer stalking scope in the US, but I’ve never seen one being used on a stalking rifle over here, despite the “Whitetail” marketing.

The style of scope without an objective bell wasn’t unique to Simmons. Generally that type of scope was used on big game rifles, where a wide field of view and quick target acquisition was required. In the airgun world that translated well to shooting rats, for example.

I really like them and own a couple myself. They’re well sought after for a good reason.

Cheers
    Greg

yes i seem to remember him being in a bad car accident

The 1.5-5x20 was my favourite hunting scope, good glass, light weight and compact. Thing move on, I currently hunt with hawke airmax 2-7x32ao which is better imo.

I have owned the vast majority of Simmons over and over. Always seem to sell them 🤷🏻♂️

Nice simple bright and clear scopes, they have stood the test of time too. I have two WTC the 4x40 made in Korea and the 1.5-5x20.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    The WTC range where pretty good scopes but as I've said before, they where well over priced over here but saying that everything AGS did was over priced, I was told by a gun smith that if you returned a WTC to AGS for repair, they made so much mark up on them, that they just tossed them in the bin and sent back a new one, I found the Bushnell Trophy range was far better quality and much cheaper, saying that I did pick up a well priced second hand 1.5-5x20 one at the bash, that went on Karen's HW30 very well and keeps the weight down for her.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I think the 1.5-5 was a re badged shotgun scope already being made with a diamond aiming reticle
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Yes...

...there was a bad car crash.

sbd
    Pardon?

Hugely over rated
    A Nikon 2-7 x 32 urinates all over a Simmons 1.5-5x20
    A Trophy wipes floor with them -
    But they will live on ‘ as legends’ in optimistic minds of rosier yesteryear (no offense) never were that great …..
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Simmons WTC

27 years old now. Yes there is better these days but they were still a good scope and better than some of the cheap modern stuff around today. Mach 1.5