Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The History of the Simmons Whitetail Classic Scope?

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    Hugely over rated
    A Nikon 2-7 x 32 urinates all over a Simmons 1.5-5x20
    A Trophy wipes floor with them -
    But they will live on ‘ as legends’ in optimistic minds of rosier yesteryear (no offense) never were that great …..
    Wow thats a bit brutal. Maybe i should tell my little simmons to toss itself in the scrap bin dispite it taking hundreds of rats in all the time i had it.

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    Wow thats a bit brutal. Maybe i should tell my little simmons to toss itself in the scrap bin dispite it taking hundreds of rats in all the time i had it.
    Lol - just saying it how it is imo -

I wouldn’t wax lyrical about a 30 year old Telly and think it’s better than my flatscreen HD
    Optics and technology have really moved on
    I sold my Simmons 1.5 - 5 after staring into a tree canopy with it and comparing it with a modern Nikon scope (now it’s a shame those got the plug pulled on them - Nikon) ��
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Lol - just saying it how it is imo -

I wouldn’t wax lyrical about a 30 year old Telly and think it’s better than my flatscreen HD
    Optics and technology have really moved on
    I sold my Simmons 1.5 - 5 after staring into a tree canopy with it and comparing it with a modern Nikon scope (now it’s a shame those got the plug pulled on them - Nikon) ��
    I found the Nikon's to be limiting in one key area, the field of view is narrow compared to the WTC's.

Not had the chance to look through a 4x32 WTC but I think their models were all wide angle, where as Nikon's didn't go for wide angle optics ? Owned 2-7x32 and 4x32 Nikon and sold them in favour of Tasco AG's which despite their age seem to have been built with longevity in mind and sport glass that match modern day counterparts.
    Hw77+7

Simmons

Yep on the above advice I've just binned my 30 year old S&B, Zeiss and Leupolds and tomorrow I'll replace them with some modern made in China stuff. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Yep on the above advice I've just binned my 30 year old S&B, Zeiss and Leupolds and tomorrow I'll replace them with some modern made in China stuff. Mach 1.5
    Those scopes are made in same countries they always have been in best way at the time with glass grinding and coating technology
    WTC are budget scopes - not cheap end budget, but budget and indeed are now made in China

Nikon have poor field of view but good light transmission and clarity. The Pro Staffs were probably similar price to WTC - same cheap wired reticle, but optical quality has moved on - just like pellets have in the last 30 odd years -

Although a few years out of date now I agree very much with this ChuckHawk overview -

https://www.chuckhawks.com/recommended_riflescopes.htm

Although a few years out of date now I agree very much with this ChuckHawk overview -

https://www.chuckhawks.com/recommended_riflescopes.htm
    Yes, although written for a different purpose, that’s not a bad attempt at a hierarchy.

The Simmons WTs were intended as a higher-end cheap scope for deer hunters in the US. The working-class guy who would buy his Remington 700ADL in 30-06 from Wal-Mart, but had read enough to know that spending $20 on a scope was a bad idea

I've only had the 50mm versions. Still got one that's never been out of the box, in fact still in the sealed posting box. I was a big fan of Simmonds untill they moved to China, when they did I moved on to Bushnels.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Born Again is offline Owns three Roy orbison albums
    Older "simpler" scopes like the WTC are easy to set up with add-on night vision, so worth hanging on to even if just for that.

he History of the Simmons Whitetail Classic Scope?

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    Lol yeah i hate them so much i bought three.....

I sold my Bushnel Trophy but I kept the WTC's.

Thumbs up on Siimmonds scopes from me!

I've got a 6.5-20 x 50 which is on my .177 S10 BBK rabbiting gun, and the 1.5-5x20 on my temporarily retired .22 Hornet MMC ratter. Both scopes are made in the Philippines, and are nice and clear. Very good for what they cost me. Currently got a Kassnar 3-9x40 on my new .22 GX-40, and may switch it for the small WTC, once the gun is run in. I like the simpler Duplex reticule and wide field of view that this little scope gives me - ideal for taking rats and squirrels successfully, where time is of the essence.

Simmons

Used my 2.8-8 x 36 today on my vmach 97. Still a lovely clear scope and compact. Sets the combo just the job. Mach 1.5

I did have a 4.5-14x40AO - not mentioned on the list.

I got it off an auction site for about £80 I think and is still the only one I've ever come across. Solid build but that tarmac coating isn't great in my opinion. Lens wise it was fine but my Tasco AG is better and I think the Konus 3-12x50ao I have is just as good from a lens and clarity perspective.
    Why did I get rid of it?

I had a spell where I couldnt group with it. Not sure why. Seemed to hold zero when I put it on another rifle but in the end I lost confidence with it so moved it on. I'd say they were very good scopes but I've used better.

I have a couple of the original whitetail classics and they have served me well over the years I tend to use them when it’s dusk as that’s when they come into there own.

A Philippine WTC was one of my first scopes which was passed on to my son as his first scope and now it is sitting on my god sons scope. They make good starter scopes in my eyes are they better than the new high end stuff that is out sadly not but as I have said they are good starter scopes.