Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The History of the Simmons Whitetail Classic Scope?

No doubt there are better scopes. But then, it really depends on how you interpret 'better'. No point having a 24x when I shoot over a limited range, no need for low dusk performance or illumination when I am already in bed, and no point for mil dots when I am still processing in inches.

I am well pleased and content with the performance and the price of these 1.5-5x20mm scopes. Age in itself is not a measure of performance, and performance is subjective to what you do and expect from it. There is the argument a new Weihrauch must be better than an old Weihrauch subject to laser etching, quality of the metal used and deepness of the blueing with a light fast growing piece of timber!

They do a great job and looks even better on a period rifle so there is still a place for these. A modern Hawkes just look and feel a little wrong on a 90's gun, and visa versa.

I certainly have a soft spot for these little gems. So much so, I have 6 of these (the latest bought last week off here) and they are mounted on Falcons FN8's, FN12's and on a BSA Ultra JSR. Should I need a low mag small scope, these are my go to scopes. I am home from home knowing what to expect from these.

If I recollect correctly the WTC came over to the UK in numbers circa 1992. Now Simmons may well have been marketing scopes in the USA earlier, but these WTC were a hit in the UK from about then.
    What was good about them, other than they looked great, was they had a higher build and some great glass for the budget market.
    There had been quite a decline in quality of budget scopes in the late 80's/early 90's. Tasco only had a couple of good scopes in its line, though it did bring out its Euro line. And everything else was all over the place and not much was that good. Far too much just rebranded old tat, or just done cheap.
    Not many shooters could reach for Leupold or above, so these WTC were a joy.

Simmons did have some real success at the beginning. They even brought out some higher quality offerings Aitec??than the WTC's, though these were heavy. (bought one sold it.)
    I remember they brought out the diamond reticule. I bought one and gave up after returning three as non would hold zero throughout the zoom range.

Tasco went down hill from 1995, as did Simmons. Deben was the agent.

I had the 1.5-5x20 on a Theoben Fenman for many years. For some reason it has a real following, and still demands a premium. I don't really know why. I sold mine as I preferred my 2-7x40 B&L for this rifle combo as the glass is so much clearer. Leupold does a better scope of this type/style but then is a lot more money.

Yes, WTC are fine budget scopes. However, they are showing their age. The glass really isn't that clear anymore, if it ever really was. I probably had ten on various combos over the years, but always eventually moved them on for something better. Definitely worth having a few examples in any collection.

Has anyone tried any of the new WTC range? I appreciate they might not compare to their older siblings but how do they compare to other modern scopes.

My understanding is that the top Simmons scopes were from the Aetec range. I found them to be absolutely superb but sadly I really do feel more comfortable shooting with a scope with some form of range indicator such as mildot. If my Aetec scopes had mildot I'd still be using them today on all of my rifles.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

I wonder why they stopped making them. For me, I also loved the exterior finish, perhaps that gave the impression that the optics were also as good. I loved my 1.5-5 x 20 and also regret selling it. IIRC, had it on top of a Steve Pope-d HW95K ~ 2007/8.
    B.A.S.C | HW100Tuning KT250bar+reg+tune .177+4-16x50 | HW95.177 +4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune | TX200HC.22 + 4-16x44 | HW97KT.22 + 4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune

I still really like them.

I have the 1.5-5 x20, the 4x40 and the 3.5-10x40 and I can't pick a fave.

The 1.5-5 x20 sits on a .22 FN12 raptor light hunter and is my go-to rig for squirrel shooting on the hoof. The rig is the lightest I have bar an Innova with the same scope on.

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Nice thread resurrection!
    Didn’t spot this one first time round but pleased to say my 4x40, 3.5-10x40, and 3.5-10x50 are still going strong and serving me well.
    Regards,
    Dave.

I love these old white tails. I moved away from Simmons scopes about fifteen years ago when I started to get into using mil dots when hunting, but now I’m reaquiring some of my old favourites to sit on my collection of Theoben rammers, partly because they look great, partly from nostalgia, but also because they are bright and clear without breaking the bank. Very period appropriate too.