Thread: Opinions on this Airsporter please.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I always convert them unless it's something special*, Donald.

The trick with them is to make sure the nylon head and cone are a close match to the cylinder end and the O ring is a nice sliding fit in the cylinder.
    I check that the nylon head and cone are a good match to the cylinder end by putting Tipex on the front of the piston and rotating it against the end of the cylinder --- if the Tipex is wiped off all faces it's good to go.
    With an O ring piston head fitted you can normally get away with less Spring for the same power output as you get from a leather seal --- the conversion is fully reversible as well so you're not irreversibly altering the gun.

All the best Mick

* - I serviced an Airsporter as a favour for an old boy and it turned out that it was a transitional MK1/MK2 model so I left that one as it came from the factory.
    Thanks Mick.. I'll need to have a look... I've not tinkered for years now, having sold the lathe and burnt down the shed, also powder burners are my tipple now. I've got a cadet major here and the airsporter that I'd like to get into nice condition fir the kids. Start them off on a cadet and cadet major, then move them on to the mk2 airsporters.
    Donald

Thumbs up

Hi

I have a mk1 'S', Have to say, The mk2 'S' and mk7 Airsporter stocks were prettier with their rounded forends!

First one on the left..

The old mk1 Airsporter with tapered forged barrel is my absolute fave of all the 'Sporters though

First three of these are mk1, Second three are mk2..

And here's a 'scoped mk1'

Those are the sellers pics, Can't recall for sure but I think I paid £50 or £60 for it posted with the scope too some years ago, The Blacksmith style scope rail was removed immediately and the scope went on to a rifle more apt for it!!

John..
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/