Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on this Airsporter please.

Opinions on this Airsporter please.

This is for sale at my most local and regular gun shop.

https://www.pickeringguns.co.uk/shop...ter-s-mk-2-22/

I've become somewhat disenchanted with modern day springer offerings and would like to dip my toe in something a bit more old school and relevant to my younger days. From a novice point of view I believe that it should have open sights and the barrel weight is a user addition? Price? As I say, I am a novice in this area.

Thank You.

Just my opinion, but for that kind of money you could get a nice mk1 or mk2 with change left over, which I think are the better guns.
    Last edited by thisisdonald; 16-06-2022 at 07:27 AM.
    Donald

edbear2 Guest
    Avoid I would say at that money, does not even have sights!.......

I have been in that shop a couple of times despite it being over 200 miles from me.........as go to Robin Hood's bay every year for Bayfiolk so usually do a day on the NYR, when I went he had quite a few vintage rifles and pistols, but the couple that were decent were not for sale as the boss is a collector?

As stated the earlier (MK's 1-3) Airsporters are a better tool with a better loading tap set up (all being equal) as the earlier taps are tapered and hand fitted and the later ones were simplified to save time and money and can have issues, But the S models do look nice and some folk prefer the more "modern" look and feel especially of the woodwork.

It is a lottery with the later guns, some shoot very well, but if you get an bad one it can be a nightmare of faffing if someone has been playing with the shims etc.

Whatever you chose, make sure the original sights are there, but bear in mind the earlier guns either cannot be scoped, or need a certain size mount claw in a lot of cases, so if you want to use glass your choice is further limited.

Later guns no problem, all have scope rails.

Probably best of the later ones if you must have glass is the RB (rotary Breech) Airsporter if you can find one.

Whichever you choose try and ask for a test shoot obviously.

ATB, Ed

I recently sold a .177 'S' with open sights, which are special to this model, that were in a similar condition for £275. Over priced - but it is a dealer so there would be some form of warranty. When your buying any Airsporter put it over the chrono first.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Seems a bit pricey as has already been said but if you are after an Airsporter try and source one privately rather than from a dealer who will always add a significant price mark-up.
    Again, as has also been said, a mk1 or mk 2 with open sights and visible etching on air chamber is what I would go for but if your eyesight is not so good and you require a scope then you will need to go for a later mark with means of fitting a scope.

I sold a nicer example than that one for £250 not long back and it also had its opensights, that one is way overpriced.

Dave.

I have the exact same model and it is very pellet fussy and nor very nice to shoot.

A Mk3 Mercury or a Mercury "S" is the best "trad" option from BSA in my opinion.

A Mk2 Airsporter is a nice iron - sight option.

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Many thanks for your very helpful replies. I managed to have a proper look at it today, it does seem overpriced for what it is and what it could well be underneath. I will be guided your wise words and carry on looking.

Thank You.

If you've never shot an airsporter club or a mk2, you really are missing out... I picked an old battered mk2 up once for £20... it's by far my favourite rifle now... there is something very pleasing about 'rapid firing' these with the pop open breech..
    I'm sure there was talk at some point of some kind if airsporter volley shoot at the bash, which I'm sure would be immense fun!!
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by Portzy View Post
    This is for sale at my most local and regular gun shop.

https://www.pickeringguns.co.uk/shop...ter-s-mk-2-22/

I've become somewhat disenchanted with modern day springer offerings and would like to dip my toe in something a bit more old school and relevant to my younger days. From a novice point of view I believe that it should have open sights and the barrel weight is a user addition? Price? As I say, I am a novice in this area.

Thank You.

If I was in the market for an Airsporter then the only one I'd pay good money for would be a late MK2.

These had the tapered self opening loading tap and a conical piston head that can be converted to O ring, but more importantly, they came with 11mm scope rails so that you can mount a modern scope.

All the best Mick

You should have had a look at Southams auction's last week , Airsporter's were making £70 to £ 140 each.

id avoid that one

Chippendale is online now Well stuff me, you live and learn.
    That gun is overpriced in my opinion, I have visited that shop a couple of times whilst at the 1940s re-enactment festival, all his ‘ vintage’ guns seem overpriced to me, then again though, I’m no expert.

Melv

Chippendale (with clothes on)

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippendale View Post
    That gun is overpriced in my opinion, I have visited that shop a couple of times whilst at the 1940s re-enactment festival, all his ‘ vintage’ guns seem overpriced to me, then again though, I’m no expert.

Melv

Was at the NYMR last weekend Melv, have they banned the festival totally now, or is it just certain uniforms .....From discussions I gleaned a lot of folk were upset as was living history being changed due to the protests of a vocal small number of visitors.

ATB, Ed

Chippendale is online now Well stuff me, you live and learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Was at the NYMR last weekend Melv, have they banned the festival totally now, or is it just certain uniforms .....From discussions I gleaned a lot of folk were upset as was living history being changed due to the protests of a vocal small number of visitors.

ATB, Ed
    Not sure EB, gonna make enquiries as to what the new format will be, wil let you know.

Melv