Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions on this Airsporter please.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    If I was in the market for an Airsporter then the only one I'd pay good money for would be a late MK2.

These had the tapered self opening loading tap and a conical piston head that can be converted to O ring, but more importantly, they came with 11mm scope rails so that you can mount a modern scope.

All the best Mick
    Hi mick, would you recommend converting to oring? I love my old airsporter mk2, but I have another one that doesnt shoot as nice I would consider tinkering with.
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by acmsarh View Post
    You should have had a look at Southams auction's last week , Airsporter's were making £70 to £ 140 each.
    That’s much more the right level (+fees?) for anything other than really excellent Mk1s, Clubs, Mk2s, RB2s or Stutzens.

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    Hi mick, would you recommend converting to oring? I love my old airsporter mk2, but I have another one that doesnt shoot as nice I would consider tinkering with.
    I always convert them unless it's something special*, Donald.

The trick with them is to make sure the nylon head and cone are a close match to the cylinder end and the O ring is a nice sliding fit in the cylinder.
    I check that the nylon head and cone are a good match to the cylinder end by putting Tipex on the front of the piston and rotating it against the end of the cylinder --- if the Tipex is wiped off all faces it's good to go.
    With an O ring piston head fitted you can normally get away with less Spring for the same power output as you get from a leather seal --- the conversion is fully reversible as well so you're not irreversibly altering the gun.

All the best Mick

* - I serviced an Airsporter as a favour for an old boy and it turned out that it was a transitional MK1/MK2 model so I left that one as it came from the factory.

Personally as an Airsporter collector, I think it is £50 over priced for a dealer, but considering which model it is, MK2 concealed lever S (probably the prettiest after a late S carbine)(I dont go mad for Stutzens for some reason).... I dont think its as far over the top as some are saying.
    It is in a quite nicely figured walnut stock which is pretty unusual for an S.
    Privately I would be happy to pay £275 for that and maybe £325 in a dealers if I really wanted it. Pickering is a lovely shop and friendly and I am sure if you walked in with cash a deal could be done, but they will price it with a PX in ind so maybe thats not an outright sale price?

The best shooting models for accurate shooting are late mk2 with dovetails and a late rotary breech model.
    I have a soft spot for 1980's S models and 1950's Mk1's, especially clubs, but I struggle with open sights now.

If you need an accurate vermin tool buy a TX200 or Pro sport.
    BASC

Quote Originally Posted by Portzy View Post
    I've become somewhat disenchanted with modern day springer offerings and would like to dip my toe in something a bit more old school and relevant to my younger days. From a novice point of view I believe that it should have open sights and the barrel weight is a user addition? Price? As I say, I am a novice in this area.

There is an 'S' listed in sales that sounds interesting if you fancy one: https://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread...A-Airsporter-s
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I always convert them unless it's something special*, Donald.

The trick with them is to make sure the nylon head and cone are a close match to the cylinder end and the O ring is a nice sliding fit in the cylinder.
    I check that the nylon head and cone are a good match to the cylinder end by putting Tipex on the front of the piston and rotating it against the end of the cylinder --- if the Tipex is wiped off all faces it's good to go.
    With an O ring piston head fitted you can normally get away with less Spring for the same power output as you get from a leather seal --- the conversion is fully reversible as well so you're not irreversibly altering the gun.

All the best Mick

* - I serviced an Airsporter as a favour for an old boy and it turned out that it was a transitional MK1/MK2 model so I left that one as it came from the factory.
    Thanks Mick.. I'll need to have a look... I've not tinkered for years now, having sold the lathe and burnt down the shed, also powder burners are my tipple now. I've got a cadet major here and the airsporter that I'd like to get into nice condition fir the kids. Start them off on a cadet and cadet major, then move them on to the mk2 airsporters.
    Donald

Thumbs up

Hi

I have a mk1 'S', Have to say, The mk2 'S' and mk7 Airsporter stocks were prettier with their rounded forends!

First one on the left..

The old mk1 Airsporter with tapered forged barrel is my absolute fave of all the 'Sporters though

First three of these are mk1, Second three are mk2..

And here's a 'scoped mk1'

Those are the sellers pics, Can't recall for sure but I think I paid £50 or £60 for it posted with the scope too some years ago, The Blacksmith style scope rail was removed immediately and the scope went on to a rifle more apt for it!!

John..
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by rapidresponse1 View Post
    Id avoid that one

The link does not open for me.

As the owner of 4 Airsporters including a MK2 S I suggest that you
    "Try before you buy"

They are nice guns but very much of their era.

The "S" versions compared to the Non S are like the Ford Capri vs. Cortina i.e. virtually the same mechanical bits in a pretty frock / bodywork / stock.
    The "Mark" systems are also independent of each other, check the dates by Serial Number,

I love mine, but my Weihrauchs are far superior in terms of handling and build quality.

Nothing wrong with either option, purely a matter of taste.

Better to find out before you fork out hundreds of pounds,