Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silencers, Moderators, Suppressors for PCP's ???

Question Silencers, Moderators, Suppressors for PCP's ???

Silencers, Moderators, Suppressors, call em what you will but

What is everybody else using?

I have just discovered an absolute little "Gem" in the form of the "A-Tech Wave"
    I would say, boldly, it is on par with the mighty Weihrauch which has (to me anyway) always been the bench-mark standard.

But my question, out of pure curiosity really, what is everyone else using and what are the thoughts/opinions from you learned gentlemen?

Opinions please, the good, the bad and the ugly warts and all

PoP

I have HW mods on all my rifles.
    Bob

I use HW on air rifles and wildcat Evo's on rimfire and centrefire.

Daystate MK3 FTR: not sure of name but a Daystate unit about 10cm long x 2cm diameter with carbon fibre pattern. Reduces noise to a very quiet 'phut'. Superb
    AA S400: the Air Arms unit from when rifle was new ... many years ago. Very Good.
    HW100: the HW one that came fitted to rifle. Very Good.
    HW77k: the slip on HW one bought with rifle c 1985. Good
    PAX Phoenix .177: Home made. Very good.
    PH Dragon: dedicated PH unit, excellent.
    SMK QB78 CO2 : home made for a bit of fun, very good.
    All rifles are .177

I make a point of not shooting PCPs in the garden without a silencer. With springers it is not so important as the noise is mostly mechanical anyway. My HW77k unit acts, I think, more like a muzzle weight as it is completely empty anyway: more like an attractive tube.
    Cheers, Phil:

Well I use the classic HW on a couple, A&M Twink on my FAC .25 (might be about to change) & a modified standard shroud on my MFR.

Thoughts/opinions,
    there are many mods that work to a greater or lesser extent, there are a few that are useless,
    generally I don't find that rimfire mods work particularly well on sub 12, although the A-tec wave is meant for rimfire, so maybe those do.

Phutt for your buck, the HW is probably still the benchmark.

Daystate Mk4is - none, super accurate, so I don't want to do anything to change that
    AA S400 - AA silencer, not exactly hearing damaging with or without
    HW110 - HW silencer, hammer noise is loudest
    Daystate Pulsar - shrouded barrel (had a Hugget, but unnecessary)
    BSA Ultra - HW silencer, works well and on the cusp of being a benefit
    HW30 - none, doesn't need any

Plus 'beauty is in the eyes of the beholder' and to my eyes they detract from the lines of the barrel

Only have a mod on my Rapid, and its a custom one off, had it years.
    Didn't rate the Evo even with Vortex sticky on bit.
    VAYA CON DIOS

Weihrauch XLK short for my 9015 and Steyr Challenge for garden practice. Steyr just needed a spacer to keep the silencer off the quick fill. Shoot them both without elsewhere because I like the shortness of both rifles.
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500

PLAGUE is offline Nice to see you, to see you,,,,,,,Nice!!!!!!!
    Phutt for your buck, the HW is probably still the benchmark.

As AB says.

How do the new HW XL moderators stack up against the older versions?
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

AWT on my FaC air & modified HW body fitted with modified Logun QGS internals on my sub 12's. A few years ago I compared different mods on several rifles both .177 & .22 but things have much changed since then. I'm happy with what I have but verry tempted to try an A Tec Wave
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    I'm yet to see a positive comment if ever there was a case of "if it ain't broke..." HW mods are it.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    I personally having tried both think they are bl00dy awful, no where near as good as the older, CHEAPER standard one in fact the good old £45.00 SAK mod is far better IMHO !!

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I'm yet to see a positive comment if ever there was a case of "if it ain't broke..." HW mods are it.
    Quote Originally Posted by popgunfan View Post
    I personally having tried both think they are bl00dy awful, no where near as good as the older, CHEAPER standard one in fact the good old £45.00 SAK mod is far better IMHO !!
    I've no experience with them but this is the same opinion that I heard from the guy I was chatting with. Apparently they're also a far bit dearer than the 'MK1' HW version.
    It would seem the extra cost has gone into creating the new appearance and not improving the performance...
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

According to my Webley contact, both the Webley QGS and Logun moderators were based on the HW moderator design. He told me he assisted the boss of Logun in the design of theirs.
    I did buy a Logun moderator at the same time as purchasing a .22 FX2000, as that was the only one the gun shop stocked, and found it very effective. The same applied when I purchased a .177 FX2000 and fitted the logun to that. At the time I had a regular bunnie hunting permission.
    My Cyclone came with a QGS moderator fitted and I have one of the original HW moderators, and having only test fired them indoors I can't say I noticed any difference between them. I sold the Logun with the FX2000, and I may be mistaken but I thought it was slightly smaller in diameter than the QGS and HW moderators, both of which are just over 31mm in diameter.