Thread: Nikko Sterling Scope Views.

Nikko Sterling Scope Views.

I'm looking at getting a scope for my P15 as the current one I'm using is not much use as for some reason the reticle doesn't stay in place after zeroing. I've seen a Nikko Stirling Mountmaster 3-9x50 AO Rifle Scope online which has a rrp of £81.99 and is being sold for £49.00 and is brand new. I've dealt with the company before and they are very reputable but I'm wondering if the scope is half decent of is it worth me paying a bit more for a Hawke scope?

Hawke scopes have lifetime GTee and lots of moa
    https://www.airrifleshop.co.uk/colle...-scopes?page=4
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    the mountmaster IMHO are not particularly well made. I'm sure they'd be functional, but I'd honestly prefer to buy from higher up the range (even the lowly gameking is better) if getting something new, or hawke (but not the low end vantage) as suggested.

Hmm.. there's a pattern here.. the absolute bottom of the range (cheap mountmaster and cheap vantage) from two decent manufacturers are both a bit pony...

However scopes are very much dependant upon your eyes though, so if you can have a look through one in similar conditions to where you'd be using it, that would be ideal.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I really like Nikko Stirling scopes. As Jon says, different glass seems to suit different people and the Nikkos have always been kind to me. Personally, for my uses / likes, I'd be going for a smaller objective. If sticking with a Nikko, I'd be looking to see what I could get the price of the Panamax down to. I have two of the Gold Crown Air King scopes that Jon mentions, but believe they're tricky to get now?

If you would consider going smaller, I'd be looking at the Hawke Vantage IR AO 2-7x32 or Airmax.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Great scopes, good value for money, I can’t knock them.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    As Tone says, if you can stretch your budget to a Panamax then you should be happy with those, I have several now and think they are very underrated, they can be picked up on here second hand for a good price.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I worked at a place that sold Nikko Sterling scope, and as the markup on the Mountmaster range is insane, and employees had access to them really cheaply.
    So I have bought and used/abused quite a few of the AO versions: the 4x32, 4x40 and 3-9x40.

The only real problem is that they shift POI when the AO is adjusted. I have several other cheap AO scopes that dont do this.
    They survive the recoil of normal springers, but the reticles tend to break if you put them on guns with very sharp recoil.
    Remember, we have no power limits over here, so I have subjected them to some extreme experiments.

A cheap scope that has served me better is the older BSA sweet .22 3-9x40 AO.
    They seem to hold up well to sensible springers, and have better optics than the Mountmasters.
    Too many airguns!

i had one on my hw80 had no problems with it

The only NS scopes I've looked through that were not utter c**p to my eye were the Diamond LR range, those are pretty good.

Rather than shell out £50 for something that is at best rather mediocre have a look on Ali Express and you may be surprised what you could get for your £50. As long as you steer clear of anything with a rangefinder reticle, marked as being Leupold or anything obviously crap you stand the chance of obtaining a scope of excellent quality for little money. pick one, read the reviews, not those by the seller and if everything looks ok go for it. I have had seven scopes from AE and all surpassed my expectations.

I think the Hawke Vantage are really good for 60 quid
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Thanks for the replies, looks like I'll avoid the scope I asked about and will look at the Panamax scope and Hawke Airmax AO.

Early NS seemed to offer reasonable glass and quality for not much money. Now I think they are pretty poor iro VFM.

Would prefer buying 2nd hand for better gear
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill