Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weihrauch vs Weihrauch

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....

Weihrauch vs Weihrauch

I'm planning on getting a Weihrauch breakbarrel to use as a platform for a 'custom' job. Whatever I get will end up fitted with a slimtech style blued mod, likely a Custom Stocks CS500 and will, hopefully, be sent to someone like Paul Short for the tuning work. A full, proper job.

Now, I've had a very nice HW80 in the past which was fettled and in the most spectacular CS500 I've ever seen, but it was .22cal running at 20fpe on my FAC. I want this rifle to be lighter than my old 80 & within the legal limit and so I'll probably go with .177 and one of the following:

HW95K
    HW99S

I've owned a few 95's but only one 99 which was in .22 cal. Given my criteria above, is there any reason you'd choose the 95 over the 99 or vice versa?

Possibly the only reason (for me) to choose a 95 over a 99 would be cosmetic, in that it doesn't need a blanking plate to cover up the screw holes for the rear sight.
    Am I right in thinking the original internals of a 99 are slightly better suited to our 12fpe limit?

Thoughts please...
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Quote Originally Posted by Hellequin View Post
    I'm planning on getting a Weihrauch breakbarrel to use as a platform for a 'custom' job. Whatever I get will end up fitted with a slimtech style blued mod, likely a Custom Stocks CS500 and will, hopefully, be sent to someone like Paul Short for the tuning work. A full, proper job.

Now, I've had a very nice HW80 in the past which was fettled and in the most spectacular CS500 I've ever seen, but it was .22cal running at 20fpe on my FAC. I want this rifle to be lighter than my old 80 & within the legal limit and so I'll probably go with .177 and one of the following:

HW95K
    HW99S

I've owned a few 95's but only one 99 which was in .22 cal. Given my criteria above, is there any reason you'd choose the 95 over the 99 or vice versa?

Possibly the only reason (for me) to choose a 95 over a 99 would be cosmetic, in that it doesn't need a blanking plate to cover up the screw holes for the rear sight.
    Am I right in thinking the original internals of a 99 are slightly better suited to our 12fpe limit?

Thoughts please...
    The 99 is a great rifle & as you say, suited to our 12ftlb limited. The only downside, is a lot of them need a fix to cure the galling issue.

I've owned many 95,s over the years, but I can't shoot them as well as my 99.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    From memory the 99 can only get around 10 ft⋅lb in .177.

But the 95 can easily get 12 ft⋅lb in .177.

If that matters to you.
    Master Debater

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    The 99 is a great rifle & as you say, suited to our 12ftlb limited. The only downside, is a lot of them need a fix to cure the galling issue.

I've owned many 95,s over the years, but I can't shoot them as well as my 99.
    Corresponds with my experience, the 99 is the best sub-FAC gun, but the 95 has a better cocking lever.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    From memory the 99 can only get around 10 ft⋅lb in .177.

But the 95 can easily get 12 ft⋅lb in .177.

If that matters to you.
    Not exactly correct, a .177 99 can give over 12fpe if you push it hard, but it behaves best around 10-10.5fpe.
    The 95 is not well suited for 12fpe unless you do a short stroke conversion.
    Too many airguns!

PaulH is offline A hunky chunk ball of baldy luuuuurve.
    I have a 95k I bought a few years ago from kingplinker, I sent the action off to Nick Simmons and had it "glided".

It now sits in a CS500 stock and shoots bang on much better than the bloke behind it

I did the trigger myself and changed the curved set back trigger blade for Rowan straight set back which has improved the feel no end.

Final addition has been a steel muzzle brake / muzzle weight as I didn't like the look of it with the silencer on and as I don't hunt with it the muzzle crack makes no difference to me. I did try it with an ali muzzle brake but it needed weight there to stop it being "flippy".

Quote Originally Posted by Hellequin View Post

HW95K
    HW99S

Thoughts please...
    HW95 in 20 cal
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

My go to rifle at the moment is a Paul Short TI glided 99 in .22 cal in a CS700 stock. Can't praise this little rifle enough. The venom's have took a back seat for the time being..Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    HW95 in 20 cal
    Ooh, I'd forgotten .20! There's a tempting thought...

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    My go to rifle at the moment is a Paul Short TI glided 99 in .22 cal in a CS700 stock. Can't praise this little rifle enough. The venom's have took a back seat for the time being..Mach 1.5
    That's high praise from you. I did briefly have a Paul Short tuned rifle (97k) and it really was lovely.

Thanks for all the other replies gents, I should've made clear that I don't mind the rifle running 10-11fpe for better manners so not an issue for me where the 99 is concerned. 👍
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

I've had a 99 since January, and its taken a lot of effort to get it good.. spring guides, top hat, Titan spring running really nicely at 9.5ft/lb in .177 - in a heavier stock, and possibly with the addition of some weight to the muzzle it would be very, very good

But.. a 95 has come up at a price I couldn't refuse, so I now have a (slightly) heavier rifle, in a slightly bigger stock, with an HW mod on the barrel that can easily be replaced with a weight - even the cost of better guides, top hat, short stroke and possibly spring make it more cost effective to sell the 99 and start all over again with the 95

The 99 is in crude terms a short stroked 95 - there are other minor nuances, but nothing much

Tinkering in the name of improvement seems to be a real thing with springers, all good if it is just adjustments for personal taste, a bit sad if it is on a premium brand rifle and its necessary just to bring it up to usable standard
    TX200 .177 21mm TL | TX200HC .22 22mm TL | Prosport .22 22mm TL
    HW40 | HW45 | Diana Mod5 | Webley Senior....... Because PCP is like kissing your sister (apparently)

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Don't rule out the newer synthetic sealed, lighter pistoned, longer stroked HW35s. really nice sub 12 FP.

99 is fine
    95 to my mind HAS to be short stroked - but that's just a TbT nose, and you end up around 3mm longer stroke than a 99, shich is nicer, and without needing to do you diy de-galling modifications. You also get to use the same barrels as the hw80/90 so far more options if you want to change lengths or calibres.

So my personal list in order of perference

Short stroked 95
    HW35
    HW99s
    factory stroked 95
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Which one?

They are all good BUT a customised HW35 is the way to go, on looks in standard trim it's at the bottom of the list and easily overlooked , look closer barrel lock up , trigger block ,thicker breech jaws, the BEST platform for a sub 12 custom springer.

Quote Originally Posted by crowbar View Post
    They are all good BUT a customised HW35 is the way to go, on looks in standard trim it's at the bottom of the list and easily overlooked , look closer barrel lock up , trigger block ,thicker breech jaws, the BEST platform for a sub 12 custom springer.
    You, and ST, may have a point. The 35 is often disregarded as an old-fashioned classic, but it has a lot going for it.

Oooooohhhhh.......which one to choose?

As a committed HW fan, I'd find this a tough decision indeed......I own two 99s, three 95s (plus the very closely related 98) and five 35s. And I love them all and would be happy to recommend any of these.

To some people's dismay, an old-school 85 hasn't ever been on my radar over concerns of those cut-outs at the top rear of the piston to give clearance for the scope ramp.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Some cracking replies on here thanks.

I do like the 35 and one could be on the cards BUT I'm not sure I'd want to put it in a CS500 stock- I kinda like the old school looks for that one. A nice 35e would be very tempting though. 😁
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Custom job!

I think you are hankering for another 80, get one and reduce the cylinder dia.