Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I've started On The HW50, Tone

I've started On The HW50, Tone

After pondering for a while I've made a start on my Old School HW50 --- yay.

image.jpg

Unfortunately I'll be scrapping this one as I've found out my lathe's tail stock needs resetting and I've also decided to use an O ring as a seal (rather than use a TX seal) which I haven't allowed for.

Apart from that it's all good.

All the best Mick

Starting with a tube, or machining from solid stock?
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Starting with a tube, or machining from solid stock?
    Solid stock, Evert.

I have a few drill bits around 19 to 25mm which I've acquired over the years so it's no problem to start from solid bar.

The only guns that I'm happy to make the piston body in two parts for are the TX and 77/97 as there's no force applied to the piston skirt when cocking, so no chance of ripping the body off the head.

Anyway, I've got the tail stock sorted on the lathe now, with just 0.001" runout over 20", that'll do for making a 4" long piston --- I can polish out the difference.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Solid stock, Evert.

I have a few drill bits around 19 to 25mm which I've acquired over the years so it's no problem to start from solid bar.

The only guns that I'm happy to make the piston body in two parts for are the TX and 77/97 as there's no force applied to the piston skirt when cocking, so no chance of ripping the body off the head.

Anyway, I've got the tail stock sorted on the lathe now, with just 0.001" runout over 20", that'll do for making a 4" long piston --- I can polish out the difference.

All the best Mick
    So you think an end plug with fine threads closely fitted to the piston body tube will be ripped off during cocking?
    I'm thinking of a HW95 piston done in two parts....
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    So you think an end plug with fine threads closely fitted to the piston body tube will be ripped off during cocking?
    I'm thinking of a HW95 piston done in two parts....

No that would be fine mechanically, Evert, but it adds more work.

On the two piece bodies I've made I just welded the two pieces together.

All the best Mick

T20

If you fancy making two Mick...let me know..Mach 1.5

That's lovely, Mick.

I'll follow with interest as to how this goes.

On a much more basic level, the other day I managed to locate the Rekord trigger unit that I bought from Paul a few years ago that's destined to go in my own old school 50 and replace that 'orrible "Perfekt". Sarah had re-organised one of my gun bits cupboards some time ago and had put it "safely away" somewhere not obvious!. Anyway, safely located now.

So, once I've fettled that poxy Mercury S to my liking, the little 50's next in line.

Hope all goes swimmingly with yours.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    If you fancy making two Mick...let me know..Mach 1.5
    Ah, a few problems there, Paul.

I fitted a HW99 barrel to this Oldschool HW50 action, so the piston will only fit this gun due to the different dimensions and geometry of the cocking linkage dictated by the longer throw of the HW99 block.

Another problem is that I've got to chop up a 77 piston to get a latch rod and I only have one spare, the other alternative is to use a TX latchrod and alter the Rekord top sear to suit.

The main problem is the fact that I'm far to slow in making things --- I've had this action for about 4 years now.

Something else I'm wondering about is that the piston which came with this gun had a 65mm stroke, now from a thread in collectables Bigtoe altered a HW50 piston for Flatrajectory to a 74mm stroke by fitting a TX piston seal.
    So I'm now thinking that perhaps the Oldschool HW50 was sold with two different synthetic sealed pistons, one with a 65mm stroke and one with a 69mm stroke.
    This would explain why swapping from a 10mm wide Weihrauch seal for a 5mm wide TX seal took that gun to a 74mm stroke if it was a 69mm stroke to start with.

Perhaps the HW50 with Perfekt trigger unit was 65mm stroke and the HW50 with Rekord trigger was a 69mm stroke ?

All the best Mick

Hw50

Funny enough just fitted a rekord trigger to my venomac tuned hw50 and made the rifle much better. Only kidding Mick but I am looking for a HW50 piston for my HW55 .22 cal project. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Sarah had re-organised one of my gun bits cupboards some time ago and had put it "safely away" somewhere not obvious!. Anyway, safely located now
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

HW50 Stroke

Did the stroke on these change over time? After all it started life in the 50's and production stopped about 1994!! So the later models from the mid 80s would have had the new type seal. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Did the stroke on these change over time? After all it started life in the 50's and production stopped about 1994!! So the later models from the mid 80s would have had the new type seal. Mach 1.5
    It looks like there were two stroke lengths Paul. :-

https://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread...33#post5981933

Wish I'd read this before I started machining.

Nicely found and revived, Mick.

Will have a read later.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

How's it progressing, Mick?

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    It looks like there were two stroke lengths Paul. :-

https://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread...33#post5981933

Wish I'd read this before I started machining.
    It is also indicated on the ARH page that different pistons exitst for these, as he makes a spring kit for them that can be spaced up/down to compensate for the differences:
    https://www.airrifleheadquarters.com...88/1936134.htm
    Too many airguns!