Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bullpups - Sinclair C5 of the future discuss ?

Bullpups - Sinclair C5 of the future discuss ?

I think bullpups look crap and handle weird - nothing an ultra carbine doesn't do better for me (my opinion)

Will they be worth naff all in a few years - I reckon, yes most likely -

Discuss (I can't wait)
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I generally find the balance too far back for a stable shot, but a heavy moderator helps.
    The compactness when shooting from a hide or vehicle is great though, and if you have a rested position, the crap balance is a non issue.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I love bullpups...!!

I've never tried an airgun BP (although I plan to remedy that in the near future) but I loved the balance and handling of the L85 (despite its other problems) and I own a Steyr AUG which is my favorite gun to shoot.

I sold a ‘project’ C5 we found in my late father in law’s shed. You would not believe the amount of people queuing up to pay very good money for it.
    Regards,
    Dave.

If we were allowed full auto airguns then maybe, but why would people need a full auto airgun? Bullpups were designed for close quarter warfare against humans, not rats or squirrels etc. The idea behind the bullpup was based on "spray and pray" while you jump through a doorway shouting the obligatory "Hut! Hut! Hut!" in an American accent....
    The airsoft brigade have them for placcy BB's, which for me tells me all I need to know.
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Yuk!

Dave
    Smell my cheese

While I really don't like the appearance of 99% of bullpups, a compact rifle has advantages in overgrown woods & in/around farm buildings.
    because all the weight is in tight to your body they can be very well balanced & appear lighter to carry.

I'm sure when the first Rapids came out people hated the bottle & said it's a fad, no one will buy them in 6 months

Another thing to consider, especially for a close quarters gun is the sight line to barrel distance, totally the wrong way to go.
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    While I really don't like the appearance of 99% of bullpups, a compact rifle has advantages in overgrown woods & in/around farm buildings.
    because all the weight is in tight to your body they can be very well balanced & appear lighter to carry.

I'm sure when the first Rapids came out people hated the bottle & said it's a fad, no one will buy them in 6 months
    Personally I think they are another gimmick, entirely the product of advertising to the "wanna be Action Man". Now as every advertiser knows there's a new crop of mugs queueing with their wallets flapping every time they open this month's "PopGun News" so this is why they are still selling. As we well know Daystate depend on these people, they survive by selling "limited edition" models to the fashion victims. Of course we also see the same with the other manufacturers, the major ones who hadn't joined the DullPup fashion parade quickly adopted them in fear of losing a good percentage of the marketplace, BSA and Weihrauch were late to the feeding frenzy but they have now followed the trend.

I got a fx Wildcat mk1 after having a shoot with one at my old Ft club.
    It was different enough to be interesting and I liked the look of it.
    Like others have said, the weight and balance is unusual ,for me it’s to light at the barrel end for unsupported shooting.
    I am used to shooting big heavy springers and my bull pup is a different beast altogether.
    I need to shoot it a bit more to gel with it.
    Les..

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by rancidtom View Post
    Another thing to consider, especially for a close quarters gun is the sight line to barrel distance, totally the wrong way to go.
    100%, but the flipside is a scope 3-4" above the bore really helps flatten out the trajectory (vs sightline) in the 30-40 yard range, so that's a bonus, espcially with a .22 (25-35 yards though)

Both are .177, 11.5 FP, shooting JSB.
    The red line is the regular rifle, sight 2" above bore. The green line is the bullpup, sight 3.5" above bore.

The KZ is 0.5", so each of the purple lines are + or - 0.25" - i.e. not enough to worry about.

Both rilfes are zeroed so the pellet doesn't rise above the 0.25" mark.

As you can see, the regular rifle has a PBR of 14-36 yards (aim dead on at those ranges, and your pellet will hit within 0.25")
    The bullpup however has a PBR of 21-42 yards - much more useful in an open hunting situation, but crap for close range.

*note the numbers may not be 100% accurate, but they are close and they illustrate the difference....

Horses for courses...
    Last edited by Shed tuner; 24-06-2022 at 05:07 PM.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

For shooting in limited spaces I think they have a niche, and if I had nothing else would probably get used to the compromised hold for everywhere else
    TX200 .177 21mm TL | TX200HC .22 22mm TL | Prosport .22 22mm TL
    HW40 | HW45 | Diana Mod5 | Webley Senior....... Because PCP is like kissing your sister (apparently)

I used to have this “bullpups are crap” prejudice even though I used to shoot a Steyr AUG armalite in Oman in the eighties, and remember it fondly.
    When I went to air rifles I found lovely highly regarded rifles that I did not get on with and others I did. I shoot well with Walthers and Anschutz, crap with Air Arms, OK with Weihrauch. Just had to find the ones that suited me best.
    Thought I would never use a bullpup again.
    Then I got a Zbroia Kozak for my 60th birthday and again it fitted me. I have two PCPs (the other is a full rifle) and out of the two I like the Zbroia more, and shoot it more. In spite of the opinions voiced on this thread, at the age of 64 I have no pretensions to being Action Man, do not wear Camo in polite society and have not been known to say “Hut, Hut, Hut” even under my breath.
    So to sum up, anyone who says “bullpups are crap” is in the same camp as one who says “rifles are crap” or “pistols are crap” what they are really saying is “I prefer to voice my prejudices rather than check to see whether a gun fits me regardless of the form factor”.
    Bullpups are not a “fad” that will disappear, there are too many, they have been around too long and are too popular.

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    I think bullpups look crap and handle weird - nothing an ultra carbine doesn't do better for me (my opinion)

Will they be worth naff all in a few years - I reckon, yes most likely -

Discuss (I can't wait)
    Well you miss the point of a bullpup Vs a carbine then.

A carbine - especially in an air rifle PCP means a shorter barrel and less air capacity.
    A BP allows for a full length barrel and bigger capacity depending on make and model. For me a BP long barrel makes sense for firearms but a carbine and a full length should not show much in terms of accuractly at sub 12 plwer.

Personally I much prefer the balance of a bullpup over carbine and certainly over a full length rig.

It depends on use you require. BPs are excellent but tend to be fugly. But you dont buy BP for looks as a rule.

Some of the early bullpups had shit triggers via coat hanger wire rods. Not so much now.

Folding stock and mod off its a neat package and BPs will outperform a carbine in tight vehicle antics.

You can happily stick to your carbine. Personally the performance and ease of use for a BP makes a carbine a very indifferent choice attempting to.make a long rifle short in the most inefficient way
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Ali-C is offline It looks so pretty burning
    I went from a Falcon FN19 to an FX Wildcat for general use pest control on the farm, and I wouldn’t change back.
    The Falcon, whilst a good old gun with lovely balance, was long enough that I kept walloping the muzzle when out ratting with the night vision. It’s very unhelpful having a loud clang every few minutes as you catch the moderator on yet another gate, scaring off every rat in sight!
    The Wildcat on the other hand, is plenty short and handy around the yard, no more clanging muzzles! It’s also short enough that I can take it on the quad bike, or in the tractor without it getting in the way, but unlike a carbine of similar length, I get at least 80 good shots between fills.
    Admittedly, the neutral balance of the Wildcat isn’t for everybody. I myself prefer a slightly nose heavy gun, and I’ve found it less stable offhand than my TX200, but still plenty manageable with a little practise. I’m sticking with the TX for HFT though, the nose heavy balance gives more stable kneelers and standers, I don’t have to muck about with a magazine, and I have a better excuse for when I miss...
    Quote Originally Posted by madnurse View Post
    Would like to try FT but being a short fat stumpy git i would look like a weeble wobbling about, spraying pellets everywhere like a deranged mafia boss