Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "New" Hw Rekord trigger with sintered parts

"New" Hw Rekord trigger with sintered parts

Just got a very good deal on a HW97KT, so just had to buy it
    As almost all my guns are bought second hand, I usually dont see the changes until a few years later, this is a 2014 rifle.
    On cleaning and lubricating the gun (which it really needed as it was dieseling heavily) I found the new type Rekord trigger
    with sintered metal parts, and that makes me a bit cautious- are they as strong and wear resistant as the previous machined parts?
    In my modest experience with metalworking, most types of sintered/cast parts always break more easily than comparable forged and machined parts.

I usually dont worry about these things, but the sears of a spring gun are highly stressed, so has anyone heard of failures with these parts?
    Last edited by evert; 04-06-2022 at 02:42 PM. Reason: spelling
    Too many airguns!

Rekord trigger unit

No problems at all. I have heard some tuners have said it's better now than the old ones. Mach 1.5

Thanks, good to hear!
    Everything seems well made, and the trigger was easily adjusted to a light clean letoff.
    Too many airguns!

Metal sintering has come a lone way. Almost all modern cars use sintered parts in the engines and drive train.
    I wouldn't be concerned by it. Quite likely to be far more wear resistant than the old parts.

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Just got a very good deal on a HW97KT, so just had to buy it
    As almost all my guns are bought second hand, I usually dont see the changes until a few years later, this is a 2014 rifle.
    On cleaning and lubricating the gun (which it really needed as it was dieseling heavily) I found the new type Rekord trigger
    with sintered metal parts, and that makes me a bit cautious- are they as strong and wear resistant as the previous machined parts?
    In my modest experience with metalworking, most types of sintered/cast parts always break more easily than comparable forged and machined parts.

I usually dont worry about these things, but the sears of a spring gun are highly stressed, so has anyone heard of failures with these parts?
    I get where your coming from on these new Hw trigger parts, they don't look robust like the old parts.

I can only hope Weihrauch tested these parts thoroughly for stress fractures by xray ?
    Hw77+7

Metal injection moulding parts are far stronger than machined parts due to their stronger grain boundries.

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    Metal injection moulding parts are far stronger than machined parts due to their stronger grain boundries.
    Well, I guess it depends on quality anyway?
    I've done a fair bit of 1911 tinkering (still legal here in Norway) and MIM-parts seem to break more often than other parts when at least in my limited experience.
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Well, I guess it depends on quality anyway?
    I've done a fair bit of 1911 tinkering (still legal here in Norway) and MIM-parts seem to break more often than other parts when at least in my limited experience.
    I think the term used for MIM is investment casting, perhaps one for Jim Tyler to stress and test in a air gun article.
    Hw77+7

Quote Originally Posted by HW55T View Post
    I think the term used for MIM is investment casting, perhaps one for Jim Tyler to stress and test in a air gun article.
    You got that wrong investment casting is also known as lost wax casting MIM stands for metal injection moulding which is not a casting technique. It is a high pressure injection in to moulds. Totally different thing. My company supplies to most of the big guns in mim and 3D printing in the world. I worked in the business for 42yrs.p
    Last edited by WILBA; 08-06-2022 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    You got that wrong investment casting is also known as lost wax casting MIM stands for metal injection moulding which is not a casting technique. It is a high pressure injection in to moulds. Totally different thing. My company supplies to most of the big guns in mim and 3D printing in the world. I worked in the business for 42yrs.p
    Thanks it's nice to know I'm not always right

The process must be cheaper than machining the parts by hand ?

M I moulded barrels, cylinders and pistons What will the future bring
    Hw77+7

Thanks it's nice to know I'm not always right

The process must be cheaper than machining the parts by hand ?

M I moulded barrels, cylinders and pistons What will the future bring
    Yes much cheaper. Lots of waste with machined parts. Most of the waste powder is cleaned and reused. Plus with mim you can make very small parts. We has watch screws sent to us by rolex who used our powder by mim route to make the screws. We get sent examples sent to us by our customers to show what they used our powder to manufacture.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Not very often but things can go wrong, remember these pics. I wonder if HW's were put under the same force weaknesses in a few would be found. Although never heard of any since

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Not very often but things can go wrong, remember these pics. I wonder if HW's were put under the same force weaknesses in a few would be found. Although never heard of any since

Is this a upper hook from a T06 trigger mech ?
    Hw77+7

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Is this a upper hook from a T06 trigger mech ?

Yes, I was just saying about sintered trigger parts and what can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post

To be fair you can get stress fractures in machined parts going through a hardening cycle. Or even have fractures in barstock from extruding processes. So fractures from any process is possible if faults are not picked up or identified. The mim route due to finer grain boundries which are standardly expected should make the parts stronger than machined parts which exibit courser grain boundries in the barstock used.