Thread: HW45 / HW75 cocking levers interchangeable ?

HW45 / HW75 cocking levers interchangeable ?

Anybody know if the HW45 and HW75 cocking levers are interchangeable ?

You mean the whole top part that holds the barrel? I don’t think so, the HW45 releases the lever by pulling the hammer. The HW75 uses the hammer to strike the valve, so has a button to the left side of the hammer to release the catch. You might be able to use a HW75 top receiver on the HW45 but it will have an unused slot next to the hammer. You won’t be able to use a HW45 receiver on the HW75 as you won’t have a catch to hold the gun closed against the air pressure.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

I was thinking about a 75 cocking lever on a 45, from photographs it looks like the only difference is the pin at then back, the 75 has a little slot and a short pin, the 45 has a long pin, the rest looks the same.
    Just wondering if anybody has made it work.

I'd be wary of that modification. The HW45 uses the top to compress a hefty spring and will be sized accordingly. The HW75 however needs a lot less effort to compress one shot of air and may be manufactured much lighter. The two also do the work in opposite directions, the 45 does all the work on opening, the 75 on closing, this may well be reflected in the way they are manufactured to withstand the stresses involved.
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

Quote Originally Posted by jefL View Post
    I'd be wary of that modification. The HW45 uses the top to compress a hefty spring and will be sized accordingly. The HW75 however needs a lot less effort to compress one shot of air and may be manufactured much lighter. The two also do the work in opposite directions, the 45 does all the work on opening, the 75 on closing, this may well be reflected in the way they are manufactured to withstand the stresses involved.
    I can’t see Weihrauch investing in tooling for two different castings when one is ample, just with a teeny slot machined in it for the 75. I’ve got both and apart from the slot for the release catch they look identical. Typically over engineered so no issues in taking the load in either direction. I’d guess the cocking force is about the same, albeit in different directions, if anything the 75 might be higher.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Ah, I passed on my 75 to my daughter so was unable to make a direct comparison so my assumptions were based on different parts, my recollection was that the 75 was smaller.
    Still, now I know, thanks Adam.
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

Has anyone attempted this modification? Personally I’m not convinced that it can be done, but please prove me wrong.

Gary