Thread: Can a model still in production still be "Vintage/Collectable "? - Example...

Can a model still in production still be "Vintage/Collectable "? - Example...

...before we go any further please note this NOT a sales thread. If it were to be for sale then it will have it's own thread

So, S200s are still available new albeit in Mk-whatever format. So would this disqualify a Mk1 #00087 from be considered "collectable"?

Opinions gratefully received.

TIA,

sbd
    Pardon?

Unframed Dave is online now World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Don't see why not, I regard an early hw35 as a collectable.

It wouldn't be of any interest to me, but everyone has their niche.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Thanks...

...for your reply Dave.

Any other opinions?

sbd
    Pardon?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    if it's rare or old, so yeah...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Anything is collectable to someone who's interested in it, simply because of what it represents to the collector.
    If I was was to collect coffee mugs bearing pictures of cats (God forbid !) then it wouldn't matter if an item was a mass-produced low quality mug if it amused me in some way. I might even collect it exactly because it's an example of a mass-production, low quality mug with a cat on it !

Equally, I might buy a new, cheap, low quality airgun to highlight why some of my guns are more expensive, and/or to demonstrate how manufacturers cut corners to get a gun down to a certain price.
    It's all about what it means to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
    I might buy a new, cheap, low quality airgun to highlight why some of my guns are more expensive, and/or to demonstrate how manufacturers cut corners to get a gun down to a certain price.
    I did this about 20 years ago. Bought an SMK12 in new condition on here. Never again! Apart from the half-decent hardwood stock, which presumably came from cheap Chinese trees in a now-depleted forest, it was such rubbish I threw it away.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Most of the long-run HWs (35, 50, 80, 77) at least in earlier models.

Some of the classic Dianas (at least those still in production).

High end, low number stuff, like Spartans. Whiscombes were collectible while still being made.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I would say if the items are earlier versions with distinctive differences, then sure - why not?
    I know there are Air Arms collectors who want all versions of the S200 for example and the two-piece stocks of the mk1 & mk2 are different to whats currently available...same with the early 25mm versions of the HW77.

Thanks...

...all.

It was the gun that really helped me to understand accuracy and possibly others too. To me in that respect it's a "classic" even down to the muzzle being a smaller diameter originally to fit a foresight (I think?) and AA attempting to make it alright by fitting a moderator that is completely the wrong od I like to silliness of it so much I've always kept it on. Had a need to take it off once which was a hell of a job as the grubscrew was bonded in but was surprised to find that it does actually have baffles inside.

I'll ponder on it.

sbd
    Pardon?

Quote Originally Posted by sbd View Post
    So, S200s are still available new albeit in Mk-whatever format.
    I thought that CZ discontinued the 200 model a couple of years ago?
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Don't...

...know about that one, I think I still see them advertised but are AA manufacturing now?

sbd
    Pardon?