Thread: Just acquired a lovely brace of AA’s, but now in need of a RH stock.

Just acquired a lovely brace of AA’s, but now in need of a RH stock.

Given I’m pretty much a BSA man thru and thru I’ve recently gone out on a limb, kind of by accident, and just yesterday picked up this pair of Air Arms beauties.

Longish story but basically a friend of a friend lost a good mate and was trying to help the widow by finding a new home for these.My friend piped up that he might know someone who could help so passed info to me. Always on the lookout for new toys ( aren’t we all) I had a look at some poorish pix and in light of very little info made an offer based on that. Maybe a bit silly of me but all in a good cause etc’ etc’, and was pretty sure I wouldn’t lose out if they accepted, but made sure I didn’t lowball in an “extracting the urine” way, given the circumstances.

Now I had an S200 a few yrs ago but didn’t really do much with it as it was outed it in favour of another rifle that I really wanted at the time, so thought this time round I’ll give it a fair crack’o’the whip, and from the pix I thought the other was a HW of some sort, so had planned to move that on pdq to recoup some hobby fund seeing as Im not a huge fan of them………

When I got to see them in the flesh prior to committing and handing over the cash I realised just what the other was, and in my favourite flavour too……..Plus they they threw in the charging cylinder for the S200 too

I’ve read and heard a lot about the TX’s but never tried one, and have found myself wondering if they really are as good as everyone says. I guess now is my chance to find out, but only if I can find a RH stock, so that’s kind of the idea of the post.

Being new to this particular brand I have no real idea of collectablity/value of this tx , and although I’m no dealer I always consider my rifles to be an investment of sorts so always try to look after them and do the right thing by them.

`From my research so far I think I’ve ascertained this is a true lefty, going on loading port etc’. Does such a thing as a lefty actioned righty stock exist?? If so will it cost me an arm and a leg??

Or do I get hold of a righty/righty stock and manage with a slightly reduced cutout, or even open up the woodwork to suit the lefty loady bias?

This rifle is in such near perfect condition I’m scared to do much at all to it for fear of detracting from the beauty but I really really wanna experience what everyone else raves about, so by hook or by crook I will get something sorted to enable me to shoot it…..

Oh, one more Q. Did AA give their stocks serial numbers, as this has what appears to be just that stamped inside the woodwork?

Suggestions and advice on a postcard please ……….

More pix here

https://imgur.com/a/QRONs9O

TIA
    All help, advice and wrist slaps gratefully received.
    Most sales open to swaps for older BSA’s, projects and or incomplete/bits. Currently quietly developing a hankering for a nice S10 BBK………..

Nice TX there. Appears to be a true lefty Mk1 without the anti bear trap. Very desirable.
    RH stock will fit, but might struggle to find a mk1 so you may end up with a mk2 RH stock which will have cutouts on rh side for both port and bear trap catch, but purely aesthetic. There are a few pics around of lh Tx actions in rh stocks as some people find the, easier to load with the lefty port.

Enjoy the new toys buddy. How my old goldstar coming along? Be shifting a few of my theoben rammers soon and the other. 177 goldstar as well. Going more in to my mountain biking and less time for the guns.

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    Enjoy the new toys buddy. How my old goldstar coming along? Be shifting a few of my theoben rammers soon and the other. 177 goldstar as well. Going more in to my mountain biking and less time for the guns.
    Cheers Chris, I’m sure I will enjoy them, especially once I’m actually able to shoot the TX 🤣.
    Goldstar’s doing very well ta, still trying to find a little more range time with it but that’s life eh….
    It certainly sits lovely in my collection next to my .177 Supartstar if nothing else atm. Lol
    Most sales open to swaps for older BSA’s, projects and or incomplete/bits. Currently quietly developing a hankering for a nice S10 BBK………..

Quote Originally Posted by MeHadger View Post
    Nice TX there. Appears to be a true lefty Mk1 without the anti bear trap. Very desirable.
    RH stock will fit, but might struggle to find a mk1 so you may end up with a mk2 RH stock which will have cutouts on rh side for both port and bear trap catch, but purely aesthetic. There are a few pics around of lh Tx actions in rh stocks as some people find the, easier to load with the lefty port.
    Thanks. Nice to know it’s not specifically a Mk1 stock I need, tho would be nice to keep it as true to original as poss’….

Quote Originally Posted by gizwaz View Post
    Cheers Chris, I’m sure I will enjoy them, especially once I’m actually able to shoot the TX 🤣.
    Goldstar’s doing very well ta, still trying to find a little more range time with it but that’s life eh….
    It certainly sits lovely in my collection next to my .177 Supartstar if nothing else atm. Lol
    I sold a mk1 superstar to a member on here. Still got my fave mk2 carbine though

Quote Originally Posted by gizwaz View Post
    Does such a thing as a lefty actioned righty stock exist?? If so will it cost me an arm and a leg??

Oh, one more Q. Did AA give their stocks serial numbers, as this has what appears to be just that stamped inside the woodwork?
    I had a similar situation crop up about a year ago, a friend of mine died a few years ago, but his parents only decided to sell off his airguns last year, he was left handed and I ended up with his TX200 Mk3 outfit.

Not being a left hander, I contacted Custom Stocks of Sheffield and they were able to supply a right handed CS500 stock with loading port cut on the left.

I imagine they could do similar for your rifle and you could probably also specify no safety ratchet cut out too.

As to the numbering, it isn't AA number, Custom Stocks made that stock and it is their serial number, hence the CS prefix.
    Last edited by rockdrill; 27-06-2022 at 10:31 AM. Reason: typo
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
    I had a similar situation crop up about a year ago, a friend of mine died a few years ago, but his parent only decided to sell off his airguns last year, he was left handed and I ended up with his TX200 Mk3 outfit.

Not being a left hander, I contacted Custom Stocks of Sheffield and they are were able to supply a right handed CS500 stock with loading port cut on the left.

I imagine they could do similar for your rifle and you could probably also specify no safety ratchet cut out too.

As totthe numbering, it isn't AA number, Custom Stocks made that stock and it is their serial number, hence the CS prefix.
    And more thanks due. One thing I love about this hobby and forum is that there appears to be jo end to peoples knowledge and their willingness to share.
    I’ll have to look into custom stocks further. I’ve heard them mentioned at various times but never felt the need for their services until now. Best get my hobby fund bolstered a bit I think. Lol.

Link to custom stock website: https://www.customstock.co.uk/

When I went for the CS500, I opted to not have any checkering / stippling or capping on the grip and I had it unfinished so I oiled it myself to keep the price as low as possible.
    Last edited by rockdrill; 27-06-2022 at 10:40 AM.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
    Link to custom stock website: https://www.customstock.co.uk/

When I went for the CS500, I opted to not have any checkering / stippling or capping on the grip and I had it unfinished so I oiled it myself to keep the price as low as possible.
    Good shout, although I do quite like a but of texture to the grip…….

Have been in touch with Custom stocks and they have indeed confirmed that mine is an early one of theirs in beech. Nice to know and adds a little provenance….

Just need to boost the hobby fund now to get a replacement that I can actually use 🤣🤣

Warren Edwards is your man.
    He's got the templates to recreate Air Arms TX MK1/2 factory shape stocks and will happily make them in lefthand/right loading or righthand/left loading or any combination you want.
    You can also choose the grade of walnut you want, or go for laminate or a number of other woods.
    These are a few grade one American black walnut TX stocks that I recently chequered for him.

Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

enjoy your new toys

them stocks are lovely