Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Perfect Break Barrel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ali-C is offline It looks so pretty burning

The Perfect Break Barrel

After not using one for nearly 15 years the springer bug has bitten again, thanks in no small part to the purchase of a lovely 21mm TX200 that’s earned me 3 points shy of my PB on its first time round a HFT course!
    Now comes the trouble, I have a nice PCP for pest control, a fine underlever for HFT, but I find myself lacking in a break barrel to round out the cabinet. I’ve always liked the idea of a brummie made Longbow, even better if it’s a Venom tuned one! But I’d like to know, if money was no object, what would be your perfect break barrel?

Ali
    Quote Originally Posted by madnurse View Post
    Would like to try FT but being a short fat stumpy git i would look like a weeble wobbling about, spraying pellets everywhere like a deranged mafia boss

The perfect brake barrel is one that fits the shooter.
    The chance that if it fits to shooting well is good. If it shoots well, hits the target AND looks good, you have your perfect rifle !

Most easily available would be a HW98.

BSA Supersport and have it worked upon would also be easy.

I have seen brummie webleys come up on the sales thread.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

which supersport are you talking about. the British or Spanish one.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post
    Most easily available would be a HW98.

BSA Supersport and have it worked upon would also be easy.

I have seen brummie webleys come up on the sales thread.
    I agree in some ways, I have the early British one in mint condition.
    its so light, I need to chronograph it and look into work on it to stop the twang.
    the later Spanish (I Believe)made one is much heavier and bluing seemed very thin.
    interested in anyone who has had the early British one tuned or done it themselves and their thoughts.
    Lampy

Quote Originally Posted by lampy165 View Post
    its so light, I need to chronograph it and look into work on it to stop the twang.
    the later Spanish (I Believe)made one is much heavier and bluing seemed very thin.
    interested in anyone who has had the early British one tuned or done it themselves and their thoughts.
    Lampy
    Mechanically good Supersports can be VERY nice if set up properly.
    Too many airguns!

Lampy
    Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Mechanically good Supersports can be VERY nice if set up properly.
    My cosmetically challenged early model shoots beautifully, as witnessed by a good few attendees of The Boinger Bash. In .22. Deburred, polished, moly treated, tight fitting Delrin guides and standard spring. That standard spring was gradually shortened over three sessions.......at 14.5 ft.lbs it cocked smoothly and effortlessly and shot very sweetly. Now doing mid-11 with even less cocking effort (full length barrel), very calm firing cycle and fine accuracy. It'll never have the finesse of my HWs, but is a useful, accurate and characterful tool that is a keeper.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Lampy
    I have an early Supersport Custom, which was a special model BSA did, it has the Superstar trigger, barrel hinge bolt and lovely beech stock like what they fitted to the Super/Goldstars with checkering and high cheek piece, I've fitted a true .25 barrel to mine (not the early tight .243 barrels) and just fitted some delrin guides to the original spring, it shoots nice, it still has a bit if recoil and I'm sure it could perform better with a proper tune but I just enjoy shooting it as it is at the moment, I may get it looked at in the future.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    The strange thing is, we all talk about reduced cylinder, beautiful looking walnut stocked break barrels and in my eyes, I feel I have a few of them but the rifle I keep coming back to and enjoy shooting the most is my BSA Supersport custom .25, its not overly pretty, doesn't have a HW/AA trigger but it's just bloody fun to shoot and for me, it has all the right proportions, short (10" Lightning barrel) and light enough to use all day, I just love the thing.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

My outdoors break barrel is a full length HW80, which I got to give me the option of using the opens but I immediately scoped it. Although I get on well with it, I wish I had gone for the HW98 instead. On one side I am tempted to trade it in, on the other side I am also tempted to get the 80 tuned instead, it is as bought, right on the limit, and could still be a keeper after the attentions of an expert.
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I just love the thing
    That's what matters Pete
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

A degalled and tuned 99 is a great break barrel springer.

But the factory stocks are ergonomically lacking. A CS500 will sort that though.
    B.A.S.C. member

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    reduced cylinder HW80, lots of custom stock options, awesome to shoot, easy to change calibre.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali-C View Post
    ........But I’d like to know, if money was no object, what would be your perfect break barrel?

Ali
    A HW95 with a barrel sleeve somewhat lighter than the HW98, a short stroked piston and a straight classic laminate stock.
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by Ali-C View Post
    After not using one for nearly 15 years the springer bug has bitten again, thanks in no small part to the purchase of a lovely 21mm TX200 that’s earned me 3 points shy of my PB on its first time round a HFT course!
    Now comes the trouble, I have a nice PCP for pest control, a fine underlever for HFT, but I find myself lacking in a break barrel to round out the cabinet. I’ve always liked the idea of a brummie made Longbow, even better if it’s a Venom tuned one! But I’d like to know, if money was no object, what would be your perfect break barrel?

Ali
    If you like a heavy gun an HW80 with a light scope on

If you prefer a medium weight HW95 with heavy scope and mod on

A well sorted Diana 31/34 EMS is a medium option

All the older stuff risks spares problems now, same re parts for anything 'Walther'. There is a reason HW models stay in production and dominate.

I find in general a 95 shoots a bit nicer, I find that an 80 without signifiant farting about shoots better in 177 / 20 as it's about the right amount of spring (bit sluggish in 22) whereas the 95 is a tad nicer in 22.

My fave is a 95 in 20 cal, with something like a Sirocco to PH weight mod, once piece mount usually, 4-12 / 4-16 50 mm if later higher comb stock, or 3-9 40mm with lower comb earlier stocks
    V Mach type set up (stiff sports spring)
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Thanks for all the kind comments, the gun was a project inspired by having a shot with jb's 24 mm 80 👍