Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The Perfect Break Barrel

Absolutely, Pete.

I think my ultimate sporting break barrel would be along the lines of the old Feinwekbau 124/127 Sport but with a more refined trigger, sturdier breech detent arrangement and 22 to 25mm bore. All wrapped in a beautiful walnut stock sporting a higher cheekpiece for scope use. Better still, adjustable cheekpiece and butt pad. Maybe a thumbhole stock. Undecided.

I suppose in terms of what's currently available and taking into account quality, barrel, trigger, stock adjustability, spares availability, back up and tuning goodies' availability, the 98, as previously mentioned, comes the closest for me.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    If you like a heavy gun an HW80 with a light scope on

If you prefer a medium weight HW95 with heavy scope and mod on

A well sorted Diana 31/34 EMS is a medium option

All the older stuff risks spares problems now, same re parts for anything 'Walther'. There is a reason HW models stay in production and dominate.

I find in general a 95 shoots a bit nicer, I find that an 80 without signifiant farting about shoots better in 177 / 20 as it's about the right amount of spring (bit sluggish in 22) whereas the 95 is a tad nicer in 22.

My fave is a 95 in 20 cal, with something like a Sirocco to PH weight mod, once piece mount usually, 4-12 / 4-16 50 mm if later higher comb stock, or 3-9 40mm with lower comb earlier stocks
    V Mach type set up (stiff sports spring)
    I would have to put the Webley Longbow in .22 up there with the best break barrel rifles. Even factory it is a really good gun.
    Mine is accurate, has a lovely cocking & firing cycle. No twang, gentle thud on firing with next to zero recoil. My Longbow is only restricted by my ability to shoot.

The trigger is very much on par with the best of the German or AA TX triggers.

Yes, spares may become an issue but it doesn't stop this rifle being in the top tier. The build quality on the Tomahawk & Longbow is excellent & much better than current HW rifles.

I owned a fully lazaglided HW80 for which Venom also did a barrel shortening, recrown & slim tech venom silencer & it was honestly not as good as the Longbow. Don't get me wrong it was an excellent rifle but the Longbow is easier to shoot for me.

The stock design is also superior to many other manufacturers stock designs. Really ergonomic & easy to shoot whatever position/hold is used. My Longbow has a Halinfax carbon reflex silencer fitted which retains the compact carbine length & really quietens it down.

Short stroke option is also good. The only issue I have seen with the Longbow is some suffer from a click on cocking due to the cocking shoe but it is easily sorted.
    Last edited by Rikimaru; 05-07-2022 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Wouldn't it be a lovely thing Tone to be able to just go home and build what you fancy, wish I had the machinery and the skill to use them.

Pete
    me too ha ha the lathe is still down sitting here awaiting delivery of an inverter for it 🙂

Not sure about the bash as yet .

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    me too ha ha the lathe is still down sitting here awaiting delivery of an inverter for it ��
    That's a pain, bet you got loads on as well.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikimaru View Post
    I would have to put the Webley Longbow in .22 up there with the best break barrel rifles. Even factory it is a really good gun.
    Mine is accurate, has a lovely cocking & firing cycle. No twang, gentle thud on firing with next to zero recoil. My Longbow is only restricted by my ability to shoot.

The trigger is very much on par with the best of the German or AA TX triggers.

Yes, spares may become an issue but it doesn't stop this rifle being in the top tier. The build quality on the Tomahawk & Longbow is excellent & much better than current HW rifles.

I howned a fully lazaglided HW80 for which Venom also did a barrel shortening, recrown & slim tech venom silencer & it was honestly not as good as the Longbow. Don't get me wrong it was an excellent rifle but the Longbow is easier to shoot for me.

The stock design is also superior to many other manufacturers stock designs. Really ergonomic & easy to shoot whatever position/hold is used. My Longbow has a Halifax carbon reflex silencer fitted which retains the compact carbine length & really quietens it down.

Short stroke option is also good. The only issue I have seen with the Longbow is some suffer from a click on cocking due to the cocking shoe but it is easily sorted.
    I feel really embarrassed about going to great lengths to obtain a Longbow and because of being busy on other projects (mainly the Motorhome) I've not spent much time with it, I need to put another scope on mine as the current one has run out of adjustment, a job to do before the bash, so I can zero it in then.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    me too ha ha the lathe is still down sitting here awaiting delivery of an inverter for it ��
    "Inverter" !?!?! no such worries with my technology...

then again, with my machining skills, even these are too sophisticated for my abilities
    Last edited by Shed tuner; 05-07-2022 at 06:54 PM.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post

then again, with my machining skills, even these are too sophisticated for my abilities
    Hmm, thats some interesting setups with the motor mounts... My South Bend eats up a lot of space with its motor mount behind the lathe.
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Hmm, thats some interesting setups with the motor mounts... My South Bend eats up a lot of space with its motor mount behind the lathe.
    The portass came like that, but just too space hungry for my small garage, so I built the overhead countershaft / low slung motor arrangement. The knurled adjuster on the vertical piece of threaded stud allows me to adjust the tension in it (the whole countershaft frame pivots at the back, where it bolts onto the stand, giving just over an inch of verticle movement at the shaft) to allow for belt speed changes
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

The portass came like that, but just too space hungry for my small garage, so I built the overhead countershaft / low slung motor arrangement. The knurled adjuster on the vertical piece of threaded stud allows me to adjust the tension in it (the whole countershaft frame pivots at the back, where it bolts onto the stand, giving just over an inch of verticle movement at the shaft) to allow for belt speed changes
    My neighbour has a Portass Dreadnought he wants rid of but it's a bit different to yours, Jon. :-

image.jpg

I may yet buy it as a spare as he only wants £100 for it.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    My neighbour has a Portass Dreadnought he wants rid of but it's a bit different to yours, Jon. :-

image.jpg

I may yet buy it as a spare as he only wants £100 for it.
    That's a very early one... originally treddle operated maybe ? I recon you could weigh the flywheel in for £100

That's a very early one... originally treddle operated maybe ? I recon you could weigh the flywheel in for £100
    Sorry, Jon, I put the wrong picture up ---- this is what my neighbour has. :-

image.jpg

Also with a big flywheel.

Lathe envy!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Cool looking garage and set-ups there, Jon.

me too ha ha the lathe is still down sitting here awaiting delivery of an inverter for it 🙂
    Not sure about the bash as yet .
    I hope you're back up and running again very soon, Nick.

Fingers crossed for your presence.