Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Airgun lubrication- alternative sources and mixing your own

Airgun lubrication- alternative sources and mixing your own

Most of us who tinker with airguns probably have some jars and bottles with stuff like Pellgunoil, Secret sauce, Heavy Tar, Bumslide etc.
    I've been thinking a bit about which alternative products that can be used, and perhaps it also is possible to mix home made versions?
    Its not that the speciality products are all that expensive, but for us who dont live in the US or UK, the products are not always easily available, plus the shipping can often cost double or three times the price of a small jar of grease...
    So I'm hoping to share some of my own "alternative" sources and ideas, and hope some of you have some ideas or tips about products too

-For spring and guide lubrication I have been using a white teflon bicycle grease lately, it seems to work well with tight synthetic guides.

-For piston lubrication in spring guns I have used Maccaris Molypaste for a while, as it stays put and seems to work really well.
    I have been contemplating about adding graphite powder to a 70% Honda moly paste to make it a bit more sticky.

-I have used Anschutz "Gleitfett" for synthetic piston seal lubrication a while, and it works really well, but my small tube is empty soon. Are there any good alternatives that don't contain silicone?

-what do people use in pumpers and co2 guns, except for speciality products?

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    And while we're at it, here's a little "How much and where"

Very good evert and Nick.

As an alternative to the "gun specific" grease, like LT2, Bisley Gun Grease etc., I find an open gear grease containing moly to work well. Some use automotive CV joint grease. But then I also often think to myself, "hang on, it's your pride and joy and you want it right. For the tiny quantities we use, why not treat your rifle to some of 'the good stuff'?"

Nick's Bumslide is wondrously slippery stuff. I also use a 60% moly paste from Molyslip -AS60.

Re the greases, my all-time favourite is the V-Mach moly grease. Suppose we'll not see any more of that now.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

It is widely believed that Crosman pellgunoil is either automatic transmission fluid, or, more likely, a 30W Diesel engine oil.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    As an alternative to the "gun specific" grease, like LT2, Bisley Gun Grease etc., I find an open gear grease containing moly to work well. Some use automotive CV joint grease.
    Many people swear by CV joint grease, but I find it to be a bit too thin for lubricating pistons. Hence the idea of adding graphite powder to get it more tacky/sticky, but I have not tried it yet. Where do you get the open gear grease?

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Many people swear by CV joint grease, but I find it to be a bit too thin for lubricating pistons. Hence the idea of adding graphite powder to get it more tacky/sticky, but I have not tried it yet. Where do you get the open gear grease?
    I used to work for a company called Würth, this is where I learnt a lot about different lubes and their properties.
    Get yourself a can of their spray chain grease, it is solvented so goes on as a liquid, spreading evenly. The solvent then evaporates leaving a very sticky, high quality white grease. Great for springs!

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    It is widely believed that Crosman pellgunoil is either automatic transmission fluid, or, more likely, a 30W Diesel engine oil.
    Thanks! I have seen the 30 Weight non-detergent referred to several places, but it is a bit difficult to locate a source. The detergent is supposedly harmful for seals. If i understand correctly, the non-detergent oil is suitable for older and simpler engines where harmful particles should not be suspended in the oil. One possible source may perhaps be 30-Weight lawnmower oil?

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I used to work for a company called Würth, this is where I learnt a lot about different lubes and their properties.
    Get yourself a can of their spray chain grease, it is solvented so goes on as a liquid, spreading evenly. The solvent then evaporates leaving a very sticky, high quality white grease. Great for springs!
    Thanks! Sounds like a great suggestion, perhaps it will work for vibration dampening on loose steel guides too?

(I've considered trying the Bum-slide for piston lubrication when I run out of the ARH Moly paste, as shipping from the UK is still reasonable )

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Crosman themselves used to recommend using ATF in regions where pellgunoil wasn't available.

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Thanks! Sounds like a great suggestion, perhaps it will work for vibration dampening on loose steel guides too?

(I've considered trying the Bum-slide for piston lubrication when I run out of the ARH Moly paste, as shipping from the UK is still reasonable )
    I use this on springs :- https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-...se-TY6333.html

£1.80 a tube.

All the best Mick

Grease

I am now into shotguns rather than springer airguns, but I have just discovered SCHMEIRFIX LIQUI MOLY. A German product and its marvellous stuff. Very sticky and slick. Well worth a try. Obtainable on that auction site.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

A friend is restoring a 1928 Hillman 12 which has been in his family since new and has become a family heirloom. After he'd rebuilt the engine,he gave me a jam jar of assembly oil which he thought I might be able to use when working on some of my old air guns. This stuff looks like & has the consistency of golden syrup & is very sticky. Apparently he coated the engine parts in it so they would be lubricated as the engine started up & wouldn't run dry until the sump oil started to circulate. I've found it works very well on the loading taps on my old BSAs,Webley Mk3 & other guns & cures any slight leakage. I also had success with some bicycle chain lube called White Lightning, some sort of waxy lubricant which evaporates to leave a coating on mainsprings. It sounds rather like the German stuff Tinbum mentions except it isn't sticky. I put a drop or two of chainsaw oil into the appropriate hole on my Webley pistols every so often.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    And while we're at it, here's a little "How much and where"
    I can say this stuff sticks like siht to and army blanket and is slippy as hell , i will say i used some from another air gun tuner shauny and i could not find anything between the 2 so either of these gents stuff will do you and if you ask nicely i am sure they will supply in larger amounts for you .

I find it great that people in the shooting world are only to happy to help each other

stay safe in the new year

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Crosman themselves used to recommend using ATF in regions where pellgunoil wasn't available.

That's a recommendation based on commercial considerations. They simply did not want to let people know that Pelgun oil is straight mineral SAE30 engine oil ( At least that's what Crosmans technical hazard sheets state it is) Exactly the same specification as Webley No2 oil as used in their guns with bronze piston rings.

Easily available cheaply by the 1/2 litre from one of the big auction sites at a fraction of Crosman prices.

Stay away from synthetics or Diesel oil with all the additives, you don't need them.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    My current favourite springer lube is Tungsten Disulfide assembly lube.
    It bonds itself to to the parent metal apparently and is good enough for NASA to lubricate parts under extreme pressure and in the heat & cold of deep space - have a read about the stuff for yourself .
    All I know is it's the slickest lube I have tried so far and you need so little.