Thread: Webley Mark II Service - roll mark anomaly?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Webley Mark II Service - roll mark anomaly?

Certainly looks different to any I have seen, Len. Here's a couple of pics. of one of mine, S/No: S11588
    The impressions have been highlighted either by the factory or a previous owner, so it shows the anomaly clearly :

Judging by the rounded rivets on the cocking links and the squared shape of the interceptor sear housing, this is a late one. The 'Manufactured by...' stamp on the left trigger housing looks too near the bottom also.

Maybe you just couldn't get the staff during the war?

I used to have a late one which anomalously was missing any stamping on the right side of the cylinder:

Last edited by Garvin; 06-07-2022 at 04:13 PM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

A few thoughts:
    Looks to me as though there are still slight traces of the MARK 11 stamping in the correct position below the bolt .
    The drag links and cocking shoe are different from those I have seen, being much simplified. The rivet ends are not properly snapped either on the patents side. (Not an expert by the way, but I have handled a few.)
    Safety sear has an oddly undercut end.
    The bolt handle looks home made.
    The font looks more like I've seen on 1960s stuff.

I reckon this was an incomplete gun in a very rough state which someone has had a fair crack at getting working again. The cylinder and trigger block were probably rust pitted or otherwise damaged and have been filed down ;it might be instructive to run a mike over those parts

Atb
    Mark
    Last edited by Farsight; 07-07-2022 at 12:40 PM.

copy or replica ?

Could it be a copy? I remember reading some where about gunsmiths in India? they could make very good replica's of almost any fire arm. kind regards Al.

Quote Originally Posted by cringe View Post
    Could it be a copy? I remember reading some where about gunsmiths in India? they could make very good replica's of almost any fire arm. kind regards Al.
    That's a thought, although I've never seen a photograph of an Indian made Service rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by cringe View Post
    Al the more I look at this rifle the more I think you might be right.

All the pics here:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....fle/#post-7379
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.