Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Club Shut due to lead poisoning

Club Shut due to lead poisoning

On the news this evening the rifle club club has shut, a number of members are in the hospital for treatment.
    Anschutz 1913. .22lr - Big Nikko. TX200.177 Mk3 Ultimate
    Taurus 357 LBR. Taurus .22 LBR BSA .22 RF Martini International Mk3.
    Marlin 357 original JM.

Is it April 1st?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Double Deuce at Walsall. It is reported on the BBC website. I found the OPs initial post hard to believe so I googled it.
    In decades of shooting on ranges, I have never heard of such a case. I wonder if it is really an outbreak of infection such as Covid or it is food poisoning.
    It does seem very pertinent that this outbreak has occurred on a commercial range in an urban area at a time when there is an ongoing debate about restrictions on lead ammunition.

Thank you. I've just had a look on the BBC News site. Mmmm........
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I have reported it to the committee of my main club in case journalists pick up on the story and try to make a big thing out of it. Best to be prepared with a bland statement.

I'm very dubious about this. While lead poisoning is defintely a thing & I wouldn't totally dismiss the possibility, people have been exposed to lead for thousands of years, and to much higher background levels in the past than today, so for this story to appear at a moment that's very convenient for the government seems rather fishy to me.

I know for a fact that a number of houses in my area have a water feed through lead piping, so why are the water company not rushing to replace it if it's so dangerous ? It may be said that the danger of lead poisoning and its symptoms weren't so well understood in the past, but that argument doesn't hold water (pun intended ) any more so I must assume that the "powers that be" don't consider the risks high enough to warrant the disruption (read: Cost) of replacing existing lead pipes, and hence that this story is driven by hysterical tabloid journalism.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac42 View Post
    On the news this evening the rifle club club has shut, a number of members are in the hospital for treatment.
    This will be an indoor range, using.22 rimfire, there is supposed to be ventilation, but some clubs appear to not be aware of the rules, my old club was like this, everybody knew, but nobody cared enough to do something about it, even the NSRA didn't want to know ?

Quote Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
    I'm very dubious about this. While lead poisoning is defintely a thing & I wouldn't totally dismiss the possibility, people have been exposed to lead for thousands of years, and to much higher background levels in the past than today, so for this story to appear at a moment that's very convenient for the government seems rather fishy to me.

I know for a fact that a number of houses in my area have a water feed through lead piping, so why are the water company not rushing to replace it if it's so dangerous ? It may be said that the danger of lead poisoning and its symptoms weren't so well understood in the past, but that argument doesn't hold water (pun intended ) any more so I must assume that the "powers that be" don't consider the risks high enough to warrant the disruption (read: Cost) of replacing existing lead pipes, and hence that this story is driven by hysterical tabloid journalism.
    The answer isn’t always ‘it’s a conspiracy’. Yes many pipes are still lead but have built up lime scale over the years which costs the lead and stops it leaching into the water. Water is tested on occasion (and if you ask your water Co because you’re concerned they’ll test yours) and if levels are considered too high they will replace the pipe into your home (and potentially your neighbours if it is seen as a risk)

Yes lead levels were much higher overall in the past but often not in dust form which a rifle range can be (and can be mitigated or not by ventilation/what the back stop is/how often you clear what’s there)
    It's all forgotten now, but Rockers and Mods only started fighting as the Rockers were annoyed at having some of their comments removed

Quote Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
    Has it even occurred to you that the story only just appeared because the matter has only recently happened?

Atb
    Chris
    BSA Ultra Multi .22 ( Falcon Merlin 10x42T, `Tweaky` reg, HW mod, Cobra Merlin+Dipol L3 ), Skan M32 .177 (3-12x44 mini SWAT), Alros Trailsman .177 (Simmons WTC 1.5-5x20 , `Tweaky` reg ), Steyr Evo 10e and a Daystate Pulsar. 177..

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    At Lewsey Centre Rifle & Pistol Club many years ago a cleaner refused to enter the range as she feared she had lead poisoning and the owners feared a compensation claim. Local Environmental Health and HSE checked and found no excessive lead in the air. This is a fire arms club with lots of .22LR being fired and calibres up to .45
    Pete

Just noted that the bill to ban lead is just going through the House of Lords.
    Anschutz 1913. .22lr - Big Nikko. TX200.177 Mk3 Ultimate
    Taurus 357 LBR. Taurus .22 LBR BSA .22 RF Martini International Mk3.
    Marlin 357 original JM.

All I can find is the range public lanes are closed untill 1st of Aug'.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Rog5 View Post
    This will be an indoor range, using.22 rimfire, there is supposed to be ventilation, but some clubs appear to not be aware of the rules, my old club was like this, everybody knew, but nobody cared enough to do something about it, even the NSRA didn't want to know ?
    Double Deuce is a commercial range not a club.

Clubs, ranges, factories and workshops have been operating with lead ammo for centuries. I have never heard of anyone being taken to hospital with lead poisoning symptoms. It seems odd that the first such case that I have heard reported is at a modern commercial range that has only been running for a few years.