Thread: Custom stocks

Custom stocks

Hi all,
    Just a quick question about custom stocks Sheffield, I see varation in there wood, as normal for a natural product, and just hopefully guess you fall lucky for a nice peice of grain.
    I see from various posts about the options of a selected stock blank?
    However I cannot see that on there option menu when selecting a stock?
    Do you have to contact them directly phone/email etc?
    And what may the extra charge be roughly?

Cheers

I think you have to contact them direct. You do pay extra but can’t remember how much as was years ago since I last spoke to them.

They use American black walnut, so you’d be lucky to get any of the strong marbling you see in English/French/Turkish walnut, and I doubt you would get anything like the deep tiger striping seen in the high end Claro blanks. My advice would be to Google or search on here for anyone who has had a select blank from them and examine what their stocks look like and if that’s the look you are going for

They do some nice work don’t get me wrong, the shape of the CS800 is an absolute classic imo. But you are at their mercy with select blanks, when they explained the process to me I still found it rather pot luck. Again though this info is a few year old now, and they have always been helpful and up front over the phone with me.
    Slightly obsessed with Single Stroke Pneumatics
    Also making stocks over at Daviesbuilt gunstocks.

The last one I ordered was a good few years back for my HW99, so prices may well have increased - the selected blank cost me an extra forty quid and added a couple of weeks to completion time. I called them to discuss my requirements and place my order. They were very good people to deal with and I was very pleased with the stock - but to be honest you are in something of a lottery.
    I agree with Tom's comments and if you want something very special, I'd recommend sourcing your own blank and sending it to them for machining - or look for a bespoke stock maker.
    American Black Walnut isn't 'fabulous' wood. A blank may appear well figured but once worked it can turn out to be surface grain which will disappear, or contain huge amounts of sapwood. It also won't chequer to finer cuts. However if you're OK with all that then I imagine you'll be happy with the results.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

I have had two made for my own rifles both in standard walnut, one a good while back for a FWB Sport and one more recently for a Rapid. Both are fine, the FWB having much more detail in the grain, so as others have said, it’s the luck of the draw.

I have also viewed two select stocks which a friend commissioned for a couple of Weihrauch’s and they are very nice indeed. I must admit though I’ve never been 100% convinced about the fit to the HW77/97 at the front of the cylinder

I got a CS800 made with a select blank back in 2009. It was very plain on one side but gorgeous on the other. Wish I'd never sold it.

It is luck of the draw. The blank may look to have the best grain in the world but when material is removed to the stock shape, the exposed grain might be all straight and plain. The opposite might be true too.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

I know its a pain, but tyou cant beat looking at the blanks and choosing yourself or sourcing the wood and then getting the stock made.
    To me it would be worth the time and fuel.
    VAYA CON DIOS

Quote Originally Posted by gsxrman View Post
    I know its a pain, but tyou cant beat looking at the blanks and choosing yourself or sourcing the wood and then getting the stock made.
    To me it would be worth the time and fuel.
    Again I agree with this.
    My friend and I had a couple of NJR stocks made at CS, back in the 90's - we were allowed to trawl through the blanks and select our own.
    Although whether this is still an option I couldn't say.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    Again I agree with this.
    My friend and I had a couple of NJR stocks made at CS, back in the 90's - we were allowed to trawl through the blanks and select our own.
    Although whether this is still an option I couldn't say.
    I dont think it is now,but they will select a nicer bit of wood for a bit extra cash.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Just had a look on their E bay shop and their prices are crazy now.
    Master Debater

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Just had a look on their E bay shop and their prices are crazy now.
    They might be a bit cheaper if you go direct rather than through the bay.
    Best Regards

Simon

I've got some slug guns.

Quote Originally Posted by ken69 View Post
    I have had two made for my own rifles both in standard walnut, one a good while back for a FWB Sport and one more recently for a Rapid. Both are fine, the FWB having much more detail in the grain, so as others have said, it’s the luck of the draw.

I have also viewed two select stocks which a friend commissioned for a couple of Weihrauch’s and they are very nice indeed. I must admit though I’ve never been 100% convinced about the fit to the HW77/97 at the front of the cylinder
    Funny, I asked them recently about a stock for an FWB Sport and they said they didn't do stocks for the sport.
    Best Regards

Simon

I've got some slug guns.

Quote Originally Posted by simona View Post
    Funny, I asked them recently about a stock for an FWB Sport and they said they didn't do stocks for the sport.
    Ask Tom on here if he can help
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Quote Originally Posted by simona View Post
    I asked for another a while after the first one was manufactured and they said they no longer have the facility to do the FWB stock

I've had a few in recent years from Custom Stock.

It's a bit of a lottery with grain, either in standard or when you pay for selected, with American walnut.

A blank that may look plain, could be very different when machined.

Likewise, a blank showing good grain, could turn out plain when machined.

I've always taken the standard and never been disappointed, but I choose them for ergonomics rather than appearance.

I'd say if you want something special, you need to consider a one off stock by one of the custom makers, and possibly in another type of walnut.
    Stocks like this, will be considerably dearer than a CS offering
    B.A.S.C. member