Thread: Ballistol ?

Ballistol ?

Anybody use it ?, i was at the range today and a guy was raving about it for cleaning his BP revolver.

Yep I use it on everything, wood, metal .
    Wife hates the smell of it .

Do you use it neat or water it down ?, this guy had it mixed with water and sprayed everything with it, barrel, cylinder, grips all soaked and then uses the same to clean it when he gets home, then dries everything and applies it neat for storage.
    He revkons his gun has never been as easy to clean, i enjoy BP but the cleaning is a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidboy1 View Post
    Do you use it neat or water it down ?, this guy had it mixed with water and sprayed everything with it, barrel, cylinder, grips all soaked and then uses the same to clean it when he gets home, then dries everything and applies it neat for storage.
    He revkons his gun has never been as easy to clean, i enjoy BP but the cleaning is a pain.
    it is an excellent cleaner and rust preventer

i was told that it neutralizes the acidic salts in black powder residue
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

I use it mixed and neat on all my BP long guns and pistols, works well and doesn't hurt the wood work. A friend bought 10lt from Germany and we had 5lt each, will last me for years.

Balistol

Thought very highly of on the American black powder forums. I find it does clean very well and is safe on most surfaces but a none scientific test i did found it not to be the best rust proofer. 3 in 1 beat it hands down.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Due law i get to keep my guns in cabs.
    The one i use for handguns is one of them fire resistent jobbies, weighs a effin ton..
    Anyways.
    Ballistol.
    So had cleaned a couple of handguns out after use using Ballistol and put them back in the safe. Didn´t touch that door for a couple of weeks, and when i opened up the Ballistol had come to react with something inherent that safe rendering oxidation and from the looks of it a semi aggressive one at that.
    Now. For a "regular" gun cab this of course isn´t an issue in my case though it is so ever since i´ve just gone back to Hoppes and done deal. Have used Hoppes No9 for 40+yrs, never an issue.
    Sure as hell smells a ton better too.

I tried it today for the first time, 2 parts water mixed with 1 part ballistol.
    Usually when i finish shooting i give everything a spray of WD40 and wrap it in a towel until i get home.
    Today everything got a good spray and almost immediately the black powder residue starting to drip out of the barrel and cylinder, it definitely wants to shift it.
    Got home and rather than the usual hot water scrub i just kept spraying the mix and scrubbing, it cleaned really well and the water evaporates and it leaves more if a wax finish, i rubbed it over with neat ballistol to finish and that dried to a very light waxy finish, almost like renaissance wax.
    Nicer than oil if your going to shoot it again soon but i would rather use oil if it was going away for longer.
    I think i will stick with it for a while and see how it goes but it does look good for shifting the BP gunk.