Quote Originally Posted by Bellycrawler View Post
I've had 2 & thought highly of them. Std from the factory & not messed with. I had the hinge pin converted to a bolt. Problem with the the jaws opening up solved.
The Webley's do not have a centralised pivot point, putting in a bolt according to Venom / S Pope was not a great solution. The pivot location (centralised) was one of the main improvements on later rifles - Exocet, Stingray, Longbow etc which feature a bolt - if you can have a look at an older one with newer
This is the reason that the older barrels and blocks and vice versa are not cross generation interchangeable, pre Exocet, Post Exocet is generally the differentiator.

These all continued with same swept volume, about optimum for 22 in uk power.
So Excels, Victors, Vulcans, Exocets, Stingrays, Longbows all shoot with similar character. The older ones had the UK Webley barrels (in 22 try Superdome other RWS, FTT, JSB), but to compete with HW they finally upgraded to HW barrels on Longbow onwards, this was mainly because the German guns especially in 177 were outshooting the Webley's easily.

Breech shims, after a gentle squeeze of jaws in a vice if any wobble were the optimum solutions.

Hope this helps - as time passes and more folk pop off, I think stuff gets forgotten .....