Thread: HFT500 Pellet Choice

HFT500 Pellet Choice

I'm currently using AA Diabolo Fields (4.52) in my HFT500. The grouping is OK at 25 yards, best group so far is 7mm outside edge to outside edge. Usual is 5p piece size or a bit better. JSB Exacts were disappointing, opening the group up to 20mm with far too many flyers.
    I will pick up some QYS domed (4.50) and Heavy FT (in 4.49) later this week. This is all I could get from my drive-by RFD. Does the 0.01mm nominal diameter mean anything? I've tried measuring other pellets in the past and the stated diameter is, frankly, a bit of a joke. Are QYS as good as folks seem to say?

What are other HFT500 owners loving? (yes, all barrels are different). I like to pick up pellets in person as I've had some bad experiences with damaged couriered ammo in the past. Granted, this will seriously limit my choice.
    Thanks in advance.
    The problem with being old is that you can remember when things weren't crap. Sometimes.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    I'm sorry to say those result are way under what a decent HFT500 and shooter can do

A 5p at 25 meters is not great for a PCP, 40m is decent, and 50m is very good. A 5p is just 18mm across, and for reference, its bigger than the red bulls in the target below, which were 5 shot groups, shot indoors rested at 30m, it would cover the 7 circle, so it gives you an idea of what your gun should be shooting like. Quality pellets are always the way to go for accuracy, I don't even try cheap/hollow/pointed ones, they are never as good as a quality domed pellet.

The numbers beside the pellet type are batch numbers of the same pellets BTW, if I'm testing for BR I'll normally do 24 types/batches, but for other guns I just do half a dozen as I'm only looking for a decent one, not a brilliant one.

Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Hft500

Mine can do a 5p at 55yds with JSB Exacts, benched in still conditions with pretty much any batch i have used up to now.
    Alsohas the same accuracy with the QYS 9.56 domed...the Streamlined heavies are pretty good too.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for the replies.
    P'raps I sold myself short there. If I could be bothered to work out how to post an attachment I could show you a couple of decent cards. Last card had groups of 10, 12, 8, 10 & 16mm (all with 5 shots). Shot outside in breezy conditions along the side of an 'L' shaped building and hedged garden, so not ideal. I'll be going to the 25m indoor range tomorrow, for the first time with the HFT, I'll see how that goes. Good to see you get flyer(s) too Jesim1
    The problem with being old is that you can remember when things weren't crap. Sometimes.

hft500

The qys streamlined heavies seem to be the best for mine as well tried the jsb exacts and got sick of sorting the deformed skirts.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrott View Post
    Good to see you get flyer(s) too Jesim1
    It's life, and one of my biggest bug bears - I can do 20/30 shots on the trot spot on, and then you just need that one that goes 5mm astray to ruin your day

The more work you do on pellet prep the less you get, all those were just out the tin, so only to be expected
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired