Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why does the Webley Vulcan behave so well?

Why does the Webley Vulcan behave so well?

Heavy piston of quite large diameter, but it still behaves calm during recoil if set up with the correct spring.
    Is it just a good combination of stroke, diameter, piston weight and compression?
    Too many airguns!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    the small port probably balances out the heavy piston.
    lighter piston and 3.0mm port would be a good test
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    the small port probably balances out the heavy piston.
    lighter piston and 3.0mm port would be a good test
    Disturbing guns that work as well as my Vulcans is not something I want to start with...
    The recent threads about dream airguns has my head turning again... The Vulcan just suffers from short forks, which really is a shame.
    A Supersport has a much more stable barrel, even if it only has a pin like the Vulcan, but the barrel locks up a lot better.

And then theres Micks recent work on the Diana 35, which puts his action closer to the Webley Vulcan specs.
    Maybe a modded Diana 35 really is the perfect sporting breakbarrel...
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Heavy piston of quite large diameter, but it still behaves calm during recoil if set up with the correct spring.
    Is it just a good combination of stroke, diameter, piston weight and compression?
    What spec of spring are you using in you Vulcan ?
    Hw77+7

Quote Originally Posted by HW55T View Post
    What spec of spring are you using in you Vulcan ?
    Jim Maccari/ARHs HW50/99 spring: https://www.airrifleheadquarters.com...88/1979288.htm
    With tight guides and some extra spacing it duplicates this kit: https://www.airrifleheadquarters.com...488/552850.htm

I get around 11fpe in good Vulcans with this setup, some more in the .22's, and some less in the .177's
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    heavy piston of quite large diameter, but it still behaves calm during recoil if set up with the correct spring.
    yep ..
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Anybody know if the bore or stroke and maybe piston weight even was changed from the mk1 and mk2 as I had a mk1 which was one of the best hunting rifles I ever owned and took many many rabbits/ rats / crows etc but I just couldn’t get on with the mk2 I bought and gave up on it after a few month’s, both were .22.

The spring dampener was a milestone in spring guns imho.
    HW 77K .22,Gammo Hornet .22 BSA 3-9 x 50 Night light ,HW 40 .177,Gamo Maxxim Elite .22 multi shot, Beeman P17 .177 red dot sight ,SMK CP2 co2 with Hawk 3-9 x 50.Slingshots PPMG+TTF PPMG mk 2 ott PPMG ott Original custom made solid Bronze, Number 15 of 20

Vulcan

Had a venom tuned MK1 back in 1983 and it shot very well. Mach 1.5

Vulcan

I have a webley vulcan mk2 Carbine venom tuned at webley , it’s a stage 2 tune what ever that is . It shoots very well

I have shot one or two Vulcans that shot beautifully at our Boinger Bash meets. Most notably Speedmaster's last year. It had been fettled; fettler unknown.

I think it has so, so much to do with the spring. Not to be viewed as a "mere" piston propulsion component. Everything revolves around the spring......force unlocked, force cocked, force at point of piston bounce, preload, rate.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I've had 2 & thought highly of them. Std from the factory & not messed with. I had the hinge pin converted to a bolt. Problem with the the jaws opening up solved.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

I do like the Webley Vulcan.
    I got my mk1 Vulcan in the early 80’s and still have it.
    The gun got a upgrade by way of a V-Mach kit fitted, standard spring with guide’s piston liner,piston seal,top hat.
    Much nicer shot feel.
    I replaced the barrel hinge pin to sort out the wobble,but it is still there to some degree.
    I will try and get a nice pistol scope to put on the Teleskan mounting block for old times sake.
    Les..

Quote Originally Posted by Bellycrawler View Post
    I've had 2 & thought highly of them. Std from the factory & not messed with. I had the hinge pin converted to a bolt. Problem with the the jaws opening up solved.
    Who did the bolt conversion for you?, I have always wanted my one sorted for a better lock up.
    Les..

"I think it has so, so much to do with the spring"

I agree, the spec of the spring changes everything and its the most difficult to quantify when buying replacements. Some "standard" springs from suppliers are not the same as the original ones fitted from the factory.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer