Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why does the Webley Vulcan behave so well?

Yes they are great (Vulcans and the whole generation of - 30 year oldish Webley break barrel rifles, with spares thin on ground, and Longbows being sold for more than the imo superior in every way - except blacking - HW95) I agree - fine rifles - the barrels work loose with plenty of use at breech, nice to set up, piece of air gunning history, great in 22 _

Try a Cometa Fenix 400 Ultra Carbine if you don't want a historical rifle - I reckon closest thing - comparable build quality, very shootable from box, cheap spares (so much so you could buy one and a future proof yourself if pellets still available) !
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Never had a Vulcan, but I did own a Webley Omega.
    Very sweet and underated in my opinion.
    swapped it for a BSA Goldstar, Big mistake!!!!!!
    VAYA CON DIOS

Vulcan

A .22 Mk1 Walnut stocked Vulcan should be landing with me in the next few days. I'll be giving it a service and have serviced a Hawk and Stingray in the past and expect it will be very much like the Hawk to strip.

Am I right in thinking the PTFE piston seal can be swapped out for the later
    Webley seal? I'll be looking to have a set of delrin guides made too. Is the Webley factory spring replaceable with a HW95 spring? I'm sure I've read somewhere that you can and that the 95 spring is softer than the Webley spring.
    Always on the look out for Brum / Venom - Webley Longbow / Tommie rifles and parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Brano View Post
    A .22 Mk1 Walnut stocked Vulcan should be landing with me in the next few days. I'll be giving it a service and have serviced a Hawk and Stingray in the past and expect it will be very much like the Hawk to strip.

Am I right in thinking the PTFE piston seal can be swapped out for the later
    Webley seal? I'll be looking to have a set of delrin guides made too. Is the Webley factory spring replaceable with a HW95 spring? I'm sure I've read somewhere that you can and that the 95 spring is softer than the Webley spring.
    Yes, the Vulcan is near enough the same as the Hawk, even down to having the same trigger and breech arrangement.

Yes the PTFE piston seal can be replaced by the later 27mm parachute seal, it's been that long since I played with my Vulcans I can't remember what Spring I used in them --- sorry.

All the best Mick

Vulcan

Thanks Mick,
    I'll give one a try.
    Always on the look out for Brum / Venom - Webley Longbow / Tommie rifles and parts.

The walnut Vulcans are really nice.
    The MK1 were the right size for boys. MKIIs getting bigger but handle and point nicely. Omegas have the best stock of nearly any air rifle with a spring in.
    Webley metal quality was as far off as HW was to Theoben.

And then the Webley Vulcan's trigger It can be mastered but not easy. The Omega's was at least useful.
    Theoben binned Webley barrels quite quickly. The Webley macjinery was dated and just not up to what was being demanded, as people wanted to shoot beyond the farmyard.

One day I might get another walnut MK1, that has been tuned up a bit. For 12ft/lbs the action is the right scale; well plenty enough. In .22 and keep it to shooting within the farmyard.

Lastly, a word on the Telescan Scout system. The Vulcan makes a good Scout Rifle, but get a quality pistol scope not the poor one that was provided at the time. Doing a scout rifle is a fun set up and just different.

Here's a smart little .177 Stingray that I've just finished working on.
    Very pleased with it.

https://youtu.be/h3vel62PXYs
    B.A.S.C. member

What kind of spring are you using?
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    What kind of spring are you using?
    I used an old Longbow spring that I chopped and made guides up to suit.
    Running a V-Mach seal, that is bedding in nicely

Shooting very nicely to say its .177

For comparison, here's my 99 in .177 that has had the living daylights tuned out of it
    https://youtu.be/6t3gnoE-Nd8
    B.A.S.C. member

Who needs an ugly moderator when they are shooting that smooth and quiet?
    Nice one..two.

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    Who did the bolt conversion for you?, I have always wanted my one sorted for a better lock up.
    Les..
    A shop in Bewdley (worcestershire) had someone do it. No help now as it was 30+ years ago & the shop long gone.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellycrawler View Post
    A shop in Bewdley (worcestershire) had someone do it. No help now as it was 30+ years ago & the shop long gone.
    Thanks for the reply.
    I plan on putting the Telescan system back on my Vulcan, once I get a nice pistol scope sorted. I did put a new pivot pin in my gun but didn't squeeze the breech Jaws up, so there is still a bit of wobble on lock up.
    Les..

Quote Originally Posted by Bellycrawler View Post
    Blimey! I'm going to have a guess that the shop will have been our very own Jim Tyler's Worcestershire Black Powder Supplies??????
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!