Quote Originally Posted by lodmoor View Post
I have done a few Scorpion projects in the past, had two almost given to me, covered in rust and one had been taken to a powered wire brush that also caught the plastic. Internals were a mess too. Lots of polishing, nickle plating and internal rebuild to them both (.177 and .22). Done for fun many years ago (beyond me now, just passed 80) but sold them on for decent money. Probably still out there now.

I have my original MKII bought in around 1976 (I know the books say they came out later but it has scope rail so it is a MKII) I later bought a MKI sans scope rail. Even got a vintage BSA scope on the MKII.

Never noticed any sound difference with/without cocking aid, I must try that out this weekend. (If I can still cock them, need two hands for my HW35E these days).

Ho hum, age don't come alone.
I bought a .22 Mk.1 from Thomas Turner of Reading in Mid to late 1973, even though Phil Bulmer in his 'strip' article sates they didn't come out until 1974, so would think your date for the MK.11 would be correct.
I would have thought the claimed reduction in muzzle noise with the cocking aid in situ, would be down to the aid slightly shielding the user from the muzzle blast.
I still have a few Scorpions in various states, plus a box full of spares, including a few hammers, which I must sort out and list one of these days.
I'm of a similar age and I too don't find the Scorpion that easy to cock any more.