Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BSA Scorpion pistol (versus HW45)

Antoni is online now There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dornfelderliebe View Post
    ...Then I went to A &M custom gunsmiths ( nearer to you than me) and got a Titch silencer, short and fat, and made a good job of quieting it down. all ok.
    Then I asked them to let me try a twink. ...
    Thanks for the info re A&M. Added it to my airgun notes.

Point is, the Scorpion is relatively quiet. Least likely to need a silencer. That's what gave me the idea to quantify the relative loudnesses of my airguns. The measurements were taken fairly close to the muzzles, at neighbour distances they'd be much lower.

The loudest was the Alecto / Zoraki. I had to return it to the shop because of leakage. Excellent pistol tho. I never measured it but it was LOUD. It was a used one and came with a spring-baffle-principle moderator (Wiehrauch?). Very effective. Bit of a pain doing the travelling buying and returning it but the shop in Derby was entirely professional.

At least I briefly had the experience of using the pistol and was amazed at the efficiency of the moderator. If I ever need one I'll fire up the lathe and use that design idea. It wouldn't be my first home-made job.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

Scorpion project

I have done a few Scorpion projects in the past, had two almost given to me, covered in rust and one had been taken to a powered wire brush that also caught the plastic. Internals were a mess too. Lots of polishing, nickle plating and internal rebuild to them both (.177 and .22). Done for fun many years ago (beyond me now, just passed 80) but sold them on for decent money. Probably still out there now.

I have my original MKII bought in around 1976 (I know the books say they came out later but it has scope rail so it is a MKII) I later bought a MKI sans scope rail. Even got a vintage BSA scope on the MKII.

Never noticed any sound difference with/without cocking aid, I must try that out this weekend. (If I can still cock them, need two hands for my HW35E these days).

Ho hum, age don't come alone.
    lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .

Just bought a boxed scorpion myself great pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Evostu View Post
    Just bought a boxed scorpion myself great pistol
    Would I be rude to ask what you paid for it?
    And is it MKI or II?
    lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by lodmoor View Post
    I have done a few Scorpion projects in the past, had two almost given to me, covered in rust and one had been taken to a powered wire brush that also caught the plastic. Internals were a mess too. Lots of polishing, nickle plating and internal rebuild to them both (.177 and .22). Done for fun many years ago (beyond me now, just passed 80) but sold them on for decent money. Probably still out there now.

I have my original MKII bought in around 1976 (I know the books say they came out later but it has scope rail so it is a MKII) I later bought a MKI sans scope rail. Even got a vintage BSA scope on the MKII.

Never noticed any sound difference with/without cocking aid, I must try that out this weekend. (If I can still cock them, need two hands for my HW35E these days).

Ho hum, age don't come alone.
    I bought a .22 Mk.1 from Thomas Turner of Reading in Mid to late 1973, even though Phil Bulmer in his 'strip' article sates they didn't come out until 1974, so would think your date for the MK.11 would be correct.
    I would have thought the claimed reduction in muzzle noise with the cocking aid in situ, would be down to the aid slightly shielding the user from the muzzle blast.
    I still have a few Scorpions in various states, plus a box full of spares, including a few hammers, which I must sort out and list one of these days.
    I'm of a similar age and I too don't find the Scorpion that easy to cock any more.

Antoni is online now There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
    Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    I would have thought the claimed reduction in muzle noise with the cocking aid in situ...
    No, it's 4 dB A louder with the cocking aid still attached. I gave distance from muzzles as 4 ft, and height above ground as 1½ ft, but omitted to say that the Tenma meter was in a general position in front of the muzzle.

I would not enjoy using the Scorpion without using (then removing) its cocking aid. Now I find it easier to shoot accurately than the HW45 glow-sight job, but which is louder, smaller and lighter than the Scorpion.

Yep, Scorpion.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

The Scorpion pistol is my personal favourite.
    I prefer it over my Hw45.
    U.K.Neil made me a brass cocking aid,identical to the original plastic bsa one,after I sent him one to copy.
    Apart from looking great,it definitely helps with shooting it accuracy wise.
    Les..

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    ... U.K.Neil made me a brass cocking aid,identical to the original plastic bsa one,after I sent him one to copy.
    Apart from looking great,it definitely helps with shooting it accuracy wise.
    Les..
    How does the brass cocking aid (or any) help accuracy? Increased mass?

Let's face it - the Scorpion is a cut-down one-handed air rifle.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

[QUOTE=Antoni;8177769 Let's face it - the Scorpion is a cut-down one-handed air rifle.[/QUOTE]

No it's not. This an oft quoted fallacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    No it's not. This an oft quoted fallacy.
    I didn't know the one-handed air rifle comment had been made often before. Because I came up with that comment independently it sort of proves there's some truth in it.

It's about as massive and as large as it is practical for an air pistol to be. Just abt right I'd say. Well done BSA. James Bond would argue that a PPK (which I have shot) has its advantages too. It fits in your pocket

Last edited by Antoni; 08-10-2022 at 03:09 PM.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

Quote Originally Posted by Antoni View Post
    How does the brass cocking aid (or any) help accuracy? Increased mass?

Let's face it - the Scorpion is a cut-down one-handed air rifle.
    The pistol is more stable on aim for me, with the xtra weight up front. And I have obtained better groups with my Scorpion, then with my Hw45.
    I am a big fan of the Scorpion, I have 4 plus a Buccaneer in 177.
    Les

I've just got my dad a boxed pair of Scorpion pistols. One in .177 and one in .22, both with all the original bits, targets, target holder ,oil bottle etc
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    I've just got my dad a boxed pair of Scorpion pistols. One in .177 and one in .22, both with all the original bits, targets, target holder ,oil bottle etc
    Nice. Remember not to worry about the cocking effort. Porridge for breakfast and decent protein rich dinner will build up the forearms nicely.
    Others may disagree but I use mine two handed.

Had both before and preferred the style and overall finish of the HW45. Not a fan of the big plastic grip on the scorpion and don’t think Iv seen alternatives for it but maybe I’m wrong. The standard HW45 fits colt auto grips so loads of options there and never had a problem getting it on aim. I think a loose hold was best and lots of people say to strip out the excess grease as otherwise this can cause inconsistent shooting.
    I once had a version I think was called the custom combat, it had 3 barrels, a finger groove grip and a threaded muzzle. Sadly and as happens too often sold it never to see another.

very nice the scorpion