Wise words from Robin C there.

My AG club is predominantly HFT and rested plinking but there's a couple of us who can't be bothered with all that rolling about in the mud malarky and get easily bored of shooting from a table and prefer to challenge ourselves with standing unsupported shooting. Very informal "10m lite"/Bell Target is the order of the day so modern, top end guns are a bit OTT for us.

That said, one of the guys treated himself to an Annie 9015 recently and there is indeed a world of difference between it and my FWB 600. The most immediate thing that struck me was the balance. A knife edge best describes the balance point of the near 40yr old '600 but the 9015 has a much longer and easier to deal with centre of gravity. I reckon that alone would make a notable difference to my shooting.

Top of the tree in their respective days, there's also no comparison between the amount of adjustment options with the Annie being so much more tweakable for fit.

However, the FWB 6xx series and their Anschutz/Walther SSP counterparts have the advantage of being a fraction of the price of even a second hand current 10m PCP, an important consideration for those on a budget or merely wanting to have a casual dabble.