Thread: SSP 10m rifle ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks for that, what would be easiest to work on / source parts for ?

rapidboy1,

For ease of getting consumables, and for less insane prices of said consumables, the FWB600,601,602, & 603 are the rifles to go for.

I have two (2) SSP 10m rifles - Walther LG90 & FWB602, and they are both very easy to work on.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

FWB602 :

Walther LG90 :

I'll cast another vote for the FWB6xx series. I've had my '600 for about six months now and it's a lovely thing - consistent to 3-4fps, easy to cock, high build quality, reliable and, of course, very accurate in the right hands. The first '600 models lacked some of features later found on the '601-603 ones but don't let that put you off as it'll still outshoot you all day long.

It instantly became one of my favourite airguns and the one I look forward to shooting the most.
    Ignoring is bliss.

I bought a FWB 300 and 601 from a retired National/ International comp shooter the 601 is immaculate, the box is plastered in stickers from its travels and it came with multiple spares in packets, 'just in case'....
    There is something special about SSPs.... Good luck in your search

I bought a Anschutz 2002 Super Air SSP off here a few years ago for around £500 IIRC. Never missed a beat, and despite being pretty old the metalwork is outstanding. Insanely accurate if I shoot prone but I bought it for 10m fun at home with 3P.
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    rapidboy1,

For ease of getting consumables, and for less insane prices of said consumables, the FWB600,601,602, & 603 are the rifles to go for.

I have two (2) SSP 10m rifles - Walther LG90 & FWB602, and they are both very easy to work on.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

FWB602 :

That's a lovely looking rifle

Old thread i know but i kept coming back to this photograph ....

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    It just looked "right" and eventually i got a 601 and i finally got around to getting it up and running.
    I had been waiting on seals for a couple of months, they arrived on Thursday so I spent most of Friday at it, obviously it hadn't been used for a long time and everything needed a good clean and lube but it's a nice thing to work at.
    First shots with it today, just adjusting the stock and trigger as i went, i don't really know what im doing with 10m rifle, i was happy keeping them all in the black (just about), lots to learn but lots of fun.

I will run a tin of pellets through it to let it settle down and then chrono it but it feels like its all ok, what sort of velocity should i be looking for ?

Buinger had the seals and grease, the only part i need is the little damper for the cocking lever, the original had disintegrated, anybody any idea if they are available ?

Stock is a bit tatty, not too bad, i haven't decided if i will have a go at refinishing it or leave it alone.
    No major dents, it's mostly small dents in the finish or the finish flaking.
    Anybody refinished one ?

The front sight is 16mm and the insert is 4.4mm, are inserts available ?
    4.4mm seems ok but i wouldn't mind trying a little larger.

Well done on getting sorted.

I have no idea on the power output of the 600 range but from memory I think I chronoed one of mine at about 600fps.
    If you search YouTube you'll find that the FWB600 is popular in Germany for FT and one video shows how they alter the power to be under the German limit of 7.5 Joules power output.

All the best Mick

So i shot the 601 for about a month and ran it over the chrono this evening, all looks about right.

3 x 10 shot strings from cold.
    Average speed 593fps with H&N Excite Econ II pellets (7.4grains), 5.78ft/lbs.

Lo 589.5
    Hi 596.3
    Av 592.2
    ES 6.80
    Sd 2.44

Lo 591.1
    Hi 595.6
    Av 593.3
    ES 4.47
    Sd 1.73

Lo 590.6
    Hi 596.8
    Av 593.5
    ES 6.12
    Sd 2.00

Decent pellets could only improve consistency.

I did have the front weight fitted for a while but had to remove it, still felt very unbalanced so last week i cast a few weights for the stock and it feels much better now, i might even want a little more but its ok for now.

288g in the cheekpiece

and another 335g in the stock

Last job was adding a few baffles which turned out great, it's really very quiet now

Does anybody have a 602 or 603 with the dry fire feature ?

Quote Originally Posted by rapidboy1 View Post
    So i shot the 601 for about a month and ran it over the chrono this evening, all looks about right.

3 x 10 shot strings from cold.
    Average speed 593fps with H&N Excite Econ II pellets (7.4grains), 5.78ft/lbs.

Lo 589.5
    Hi 596.3
    Av 592.2
    ES 6.80
    Sd 2.44

Lo 591.1
    Hi 595.6
    Av 593.3
    ES 4.47
    Sd 1.73

Lo 590.6
    Hi 596.8
    Av 593.5
    ES 6.12
    Sd 2.00

Decent pellets could only improve consistency.

I did have the front weight fitted for a while but had to remove it, still felt very unbalanced so last week i cast a few weights for the stock and it feels much better now, i might even want a little more but its ok for now.

288g in the cheekpiece

and another 335g in the stock

Last job was adding a few baffles which turned out great, it's really very quiet now

Does anybody have a 602 or 603 with the dry fire feature ?
    Good shout on the weight, the sidelever guns definitely benefit from weight off the front and put back on the back.

I’ve got a 602 with the slide at the side of the tube for priming the valve without having to complete a stroke of air.
    Slightly obsessed with Single Stroke Pneumatics
    Also making stocks over at Daviesbuilt gunstocks.

Quote Originally Posted by tomdavies9 View Post
    Good shout on the weight, the sidelever guns definitely benefit from weight off the front and put back on the back.

I’ve got a 602 with the slide at the side of the tube for priming the valve without having to complete a stroke of air.

I found a drawing for the 603 so i see how the slide fits onto the cocking linkage, i was thinking about attaching a wee rod to the same place on the linkage but coming straight out the bottom and hiding it in the accessory rail.

With the baffles fitted i can cock and fire it's so quiet so dry fire isn't such a priority now but it would be easier not to have to cock it properly every time.

Still undecided on refinishing the stock or not, i was thinking about stripping it and giving it an oil or wax finish with some stippling on the grip, its a bit smooth as is.