Page 52 of 66 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: Autumn Bash 17th and 18th September 2022

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I always took it that the rod was sealed by a lip seal, Chris.

So if you put the ram in a pressure chamber and increase the chamber pressure above the ram's internal pressure, then pressure will go past the lip seal and increase the internal pressure.

Obviously, if this is how they work then you can only increase ram pressure as there's no way of letting pressure out of the ram.

All the best Mick
    Well I had a Theoben AWT ram that leaked, so it must be able to.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Well I had a Theoben AWT ram that leaked, so it must be able to.

image.jpeg

I haven't ever played with them so only going by what I've read, but do you also struggle to space them out at one end to add preload if required? Would seem really weird if you're not able to, even if by only a little to help. So many advantages over a conventional steel spring in theory, especially in terms of refinement if the set-up is correct, but, in practice, the metal spring offers up so many more ways of being able to fine-tune the system for individual needs and preferences. The "Rammer Bash" just wouldn't have the same ring to it either, would it?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I haven't ever played with them so only going by what I've read, but do you also struggle to space them out at one end to add preload if required? Would seem really weird if you're not able to, even if by only a little to help. So many advantages over a conventional steel spring in theory, especially in terms of refinement if the set-up is correct, but, in practice, the metal spring offers up so many more ways of being able to fine-tune the system for individual needs and preferences. The "Rammer Bash" just wouldn't have the same ring to it either, would it?
    Well I remember the old instructions from Theoben about fitting their drop in rams and it said that you couldn't add preload and you can't alter the length of the rod, like you say Tone, they do have their advantages and I've tried a few but like you know, the Diana ram I put in my Fenman was a bitch to cock but the aftermarket ram I have in my Independent is easy and is pleasant to shoot as well, I actually prefer springs if I'm honest, more flexibility and with a proper fitting set of delrin guides they are just as smooth.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by GrandadG View Post

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Well I remember the old instructions from Theoben about fitting their drop in rams and it said that you couldn't add preload and you can't alter the length of the rod, like you say Tone, they do have their advantages and I've tried a few but like you know, the Diana ram I put in my Fenman was a bitch to cock but the aftermarket ram I have in my Independent is easy and is pleasant to shoot as well, I actually prefer springs if I'm honest, more flexibility and with a proper fitting set of delrin guides they are just as smooth.
    Absolutely, Pete.

And I don't think Little Zeb would look quite right on a ram instead of a nice, boingy, coiled spring.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

BOING!

Rammer only have 4 or 5mm of preload. You do need a spring compressor.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post
    Rammer only have 4 or 5mm of preload. You do need a spring compressor.
    Oh yes, I only had the end of the ram sticking out the back of the cylinder a few millimetres but I couldn't push it down by hand, if it had been a spring then you could of done it without much agro.

Yep, as said before, despite so many advantages in theory for the gas ram, in practice our beloved little coiled springs deliver much more fun, flexibility and tuning options. So, so many guns have springs that can be so safely fitted by hand with so little effort and yet deliver healthy power outputs.

Another bitterly cold week coming; guessing there won't be much outdoor boingery frolics happening....:

flyingfish is online now I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    3 inches of the white stuff here
    Pete

Having a couple of nights in the Lake District this coming weekend, hopefully we will have snow there, beautiful
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    Having a couple of nights in the Lake District this coming weekend, hopefully we will have snow there, beautiful
    I'm sure you'll have at least 6 inches, Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I'm sure you'll have at least 6 inches, Dave.
    Only on a warm day
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfish View Post
    3 inches of the white stuff here
    Eek! Yep, saw it on the news: you're welcome to it!