Page 44 of 66 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: Autumn Bash 17th and 18th September 2022

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    The problem was for me, was I couldn't wait to taste them and its not the most quickest of processes, I remember the first kit I made was a Wherry (I think that's what it's called) and it had a strange metallic taste to it, I had a proper bottle the other week and it didn't taste the same.
    The wherry kits and the commercial wherry are very different beers mate, you've got to be patient with homebrew and it's easier said than done sometimes lol

I have recently bottled my Christmas brew, Exmoor Beast 6%.

I have been all grain brewing for a few years now. I have a local company who makes up all grain kits so I don't have to buy all the different grains and hops.

I have successful failures, things that taste nice but not what it's supposed to be.
    My favourite is Old Speckled Hen clone. Comes out much darker than the original.

I have only had one complete failure, not drinkable, which I will revisit sometime.

Next week I make an Abbot Ale clone then I am not sure. May go back to Speckled Hen or try something new.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post
    I have recently bottled my Christmas brew, Exmoor Beast 6%.

I have been all grain brewing for a few years now. I have a local company who makes up all grain kits so I don't have to buy all the different grains and hops.

I have successful failures, things that taste nice but not what it's supposed to be.
    My favourite is Old Speckled Hen clone. Comes out much darker than the original.

I have only had one complete failure, not drinkable, which I will revisit sometime.

Next week I make an Abbot Ale clone then I am not sure. May go back to Speckled Hen or try something new.
    I did a sort of half kit (hops but powdered malt instead of grain) and that came out alright, except the bloody valcano eruption again.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

NewPaul is online now Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    I prefer a drop of Cleary Juice. Only problem is…. I can no longer remember my name or where I live !!
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

Quote Originally Posted by NewPaul View Post
    I prefer a drop of Cleary Juice. Only problem is…. I can no longer remember my name or where I live !!
    I tend to find after clearly juice the not knowing where you live isn't too bad as I normally spend the night face down in whichever part of the field I collapse in

Quote Originally Posted by baldinio View Post
    I tend to find after clearly juice the not knowing where you live isn't too bad as I normally spend the night face down in whichever part of the field I collapse in
    I’d always wear hi viz so no one tripped over me …..

I tried both of Neil’s brews flaming excellent just about sums them up

I’ve recently moved and have a garage (man cave) to set up a beer brewing area .
    I got well into it about 30 odd years ago , but it did get a bit out of hand.I am a bit more sensible nowadays ldwink,and rather fancy taking it up again (after talking with Neil at the last Bash..
    Les..

Quote Originally Posted by NewPaul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by baldinio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluefan View Post
    I’d always wear hi viz so no one tripped over me …..

I tried both of Neil’s brews flaming excellent just about sums them up
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    I’ve recently moved and have a garage (man cave) to set up a beer brewing area .
    I got well into it about 30 odd years ago , but it did get a bit out of hand.I am a bit more sensible nowadays ldwink,and rather fancy taking it up again (after talking with Neil at the last Bash..
    Les..
    Oooo-er, man cave heaven.......an airgun tinkering area, brewing area, bar and Bell Target range in one. Absolute bliss!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I had one of those the other say, very fruity, I still prefer the original Fursty Ferret and Golden Champion but at the moment I'm enjoying Butty Batch, that's very nice
    I tried the Butty Bach last night, Pete.. That was strange........At first it seemed there was very little in the way of aroma or taste. Certainly not unpleasant but seemingly safe but a bit too "subtle"? . But then the strangest of happenings did take place........by about a third of the way down the glass, I could detect a characterful aroma and very nice, very satisfying, taste. Yummy! I'll definitely partake again!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Oooo-er, man cave heaven.......an airgun tinkering area, brewing area, bar and Bell Target range in one. Absolute bliss!
    Hi Tony
    You have definitely hit the proverbial nail on the head regarding my future plans for the space..
    Les..

Can I be your first punter please, Les?

Quote Originally Posted by GrandadG View Post

BOING!

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I tried the Butty Bach last night, Pete.. That was strange........At first it seemed there was very little in the way of aroma or taste. Certainly not unpleasant but seemingly safe but a bit too "subtle"? . But then the strangest of happenings did take place........by about a third of the way down the glass, I could detect a characterful aroma and very nice, very satisfying, taste. Yummy! I'll definitely partake again!
    I agree Tone, to me it's what a generic real ale should taste like, that would be my session beer, you could easily give that to someone and they wouldn't find it offensive, yes there are more flavoursome ales out there but it depends on what my taste buds are wanting at the time, very much the same as what goes on with Whisky,
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Going to have fun fettling a Meteor for one of my customers, Pete.........he'd asked me the other week if I could "service" it for him and I said I'd rather not as I have too many of my own unstarted projects. But he's since pulled it out of storage and discovered it won't even cock......I'd already guessed that the piston head buffer will have turned to mush, but this thing is seized solid......the barrel breaks open but then won't travel any further downwards. The Mercury I worked on three years ago required a fair amount of hammering to get the piston out. This one's going to be in a different league...... Be nice to get tinkering again, though.......