Thread: Which Lovex powder for.44 Mag?

Renegade Master is offline They mostly come at night, mostly

Which Lovex powder for.44 Mag?

Hi guys,

I've been reloading .357 for a while now, my go to load is 5gns Lovex DO32 with a 158 gn TC hardcast lead bullet. I only shoot at Bisley so 25 and 50 meters, this load is perfectly accurate for me.

I will soon be acquiring a .44 (Rossi 92) and will want to reload for it. Initially I had hoped that I could stick with Lovex DO32, but having had a scout around the net and read Explosia's reloading data, it seems that DO37.1 or .2 would be the better choice.

I'm leaning toward the .1 as I won't be going for maximum loads, and it's slightly less powder per round. Just thought I would get other peoples opinions on this, and see if anyone is using either of these or DO32 for .44?

Just to add I'd like to stick to Lovex as it's what the range office at Bisley has and it's just easier to get it from them.

Cheers.

D037`s are pretty full on powders. Look for a powder suitable for 44 special which may well be the powder you already have.
    edit. Having looked they do list D032 for 44 mag.
    Really depends what your intentions are!
    Last edited by mag44uk; 27-07-2022 at 04:45 PM. Reason: added info

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    I don't have a .44 but I find D032 to be very good in .38 spl.

See how you get on with D032 since you already have it.

BTW were you aware that D032 is identical to Accurate #2 (long story) - might be more load data for that powder.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Thanks guys.

Yes, I used to use Accurate #2 then switched to lovex DO32 because it was similar.

Will try the 32, just slightly worried because some things I read online warned about low powder volumes not filling the case up. But as said, lovex do have a load for 32 in .44, and it would be easier just to stick to one powder for both.

D036 is equivalent to accurate #5.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Master View Post
    Thanks guys.

Yes, I used to use Accurate #2 then switched to lovex DO32 because it was similar.

Will try the 32, just slightly worried because some things I read online warned about low powder volumes not filling the case up. But as said, lovex do have a load for 32 in .44, and it would be easier just to stick to one powder for both.
    It is not just similar, it is identical. Story from my local RFD who traded directly with Lovex:

Lovex used to make Accurate #2 under licence for Europe. The folk at Accurate found that they were selling it at (they thought) too low a price 'cos the mercins were bitching about it being cheaper in Europeand so ACCURATE *required* Lovex to increase the selling price. Lovex pointed out that this was not only none of their business it was also an illegal practice under EU law. Accurate responded that they would revoke their manufactuering licence. Since Lovex actually owned the "recipe" they simply changed the branding to Lovex D032 and carried on. The first tub of D032 I bought actually stated on the label "Previously known as Accurate #2"

WRT partial fill:

I load 2.7 grains of D032 in a .38special case. It is less than a quarter full. There is a lot of nonsense on the net regarding light loads and partially filled cases. I have never encountered a full .38 case even with "full factory" loads.

I tried to get some credible informatin regarding light loads and found only non scientific anecdotal stories. I wrote to several powder manufacturers regarding this and most did not respond but one (IIRC Western Powders) shared some research they had done with part filled cases on the effects powder orientation in the case had on peak pressures. Highest pressure was achieved with the powder all at one end of the case (i.e. primer end or bullet end - I forget which end) gave highest pressures, powder at the other end gave lowest pressures, and powder evenly spread along the case gave intermediate pressures but the differences were not dramatic.

There are a few credible investigations of gun failure with light loads. Lots of arm waving stories with no science. All of the credible investigations which I was able to find conclude that the resulting damage is not consistent with detonation (detonation is a supersonic event which causes damage by shattering) but were consistent with barrel obstruction (ring bulges and/or failure by deformation [stretching] from overpressure)

If it were possible to induce smokeless powders to detonate then we surely would not be allowed to have it.

I conclude that horror stories of light loads leading to detonation are in fact the result of too light a load failing to get the bullet out of the barrel and the next bullet therefore encounters a barrel obstruction. I have no experience with rifle cases.

Once upon a time the go-to load for .38 target loads in pistols was 2.7 grains of Bullseye. This is also a load which fills less than 1/4 of the case. Many many peeps used this with no ill effects.

If you are really worried about partial fill cases then you can use a filler such as capok but it is messy and IMO completely unnecessary
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Thanks for a very informative and helpful post Turnup.

What you wrote about partial fill makes a lot of sense. Thinking about it, my go to load for .357 is 5gns of DO32, which is less than half a case full. I've shot hundreds of rounds of this without any failures.

Looking at the Lovex data this is actually less than the recommended minimum of 6.2gn, but again, hundred's of rounds/no failures.

I think my best bet will be to load a few rounds of .44 up with DO32 with various powder loads and see how it shoots. I already have the 32, so if it doesn't work out I can still buy some of the other types.

The Hornady reloading manual only lists accurate 7 (DO37-1) and accurate 9 (DO37-2) too - depending on bullet weight.