Thread: Who’s got a 177 that shoots RWS pellets great - ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hw40

My HW40 loves .177 Hollowpoints

My .177 HW80 loves them. Half inch groups at 25m is easy. They do tend to dip down a bit more at longer ranges than some other pellets though.

I always used Superdomes in my springers (mostly Webley Ospreys) and JSB Exact in my Daystate Huntsman. The Huntsman shoots JSB very well and is fair to terrible with anything else. Recently I started having poorer results with the Superdomes in the springers and switched to JSB, and I have to say the difference is quite marked, the JSB accuracy is phenomenal.

I was working on a Webley barrel recently and pushing a few pellets through it. Out of them all, the JSB differed from the rest in that both the skirt and the head fully engaged the rifling. The rest, including the Superdomes, seemed to have a smaller head diameter to "ride" on the rifling.

All in .177 by the way, .22 might be different.

My fn19 shot superdomes better than any other pellet but they are consistently poor in every other rifle I have tried.

RWS Basic go well in my HW30 and 99 at close to mid range and well in my HW40 and Crosman 357.

Hobby seem generally pretty good

RWS Superfield poor in every rifle i have tried (poor compared the best pellet anyway).

Excellent in both TX200 mk2 and S400. Both .177.

I get through a lot of RWS Diablo Basic's, cracking wee pellet and cheap as chips, just wish JSR would get them back in stock.

Another vote for rws superpoints-my 1980 original 45 .22 loves them.

Super Points?
    I wouldn't use them in .177 as Superdomes seem to work better.

The points just don't give the best long range results and add more dynamic issues than solve.
    I think they can work well in .22 due to their thinner skirts in some barrels at the shorter ranges where the velocity is still reasonable. They work well for my .22 FWB Sport.
    As for penetration then .177 pellets are pointy enough at all normal ranges whatever the design. .22 only struggles with feather plugging at medium and long range, and here the pointedness may well help. But without accuracy its a moot point

RWS Super Points really aren't that great a design. I just had some to use. There are probably better .22 designs to be had. In truth what pellet is all about what gets the best accuracy out of any given rifle. 12ft/lbs rifles it all about shot placement, nothing else.

I have found in a HW100 .177
    RWS pellets
    Super point 8.2grn OK
    Super dome 8.3grn OK
    Super field 8.4grn Not ok
    Super mag 9.3grn Not ok
    Hope this helps

My DS Wolverine and Huntsman both like superdomes. 30meters nice and tight in the right conditions....They do get pushed about by cross wind more than other pellets in my experience. But in still (ish) conditions A1.