Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who’s got a 177 that shoots RWS pellets great - ?

I always used Superdomes in my springers (mostly Webley Ospreys) and JSB Exact in my Daystate Huntsman. The Huntsman shoots JSB very well and is fair to terrible with anything else. Recently I started having poorer results with the Superdomes in the springers and switched to JSB, and I have to say the difference is quite marked, the JSB accuracy is phenomenal.

I was working on a Webley barrel recently and pushing a few pellets through it. Out of them all, the JSB differed from the rest in that both the skirt and the head fully engaged the rifling. The rest, including the Superdomes, seemed to have a smaller head diameter to "ride" on the rifling.

All in .177 by the way, .22 might be different.

My fn19 shot superdomes better than any other pellet but they are consistently poor in every other rifle I have tried.

RWS Basic go well in my HW30 and 99 at close to mid range and well in my HW40 and Crosman 357.

Hobby seem generally pretty good

RWS Superfield poor in every rifle i have tried (poor compared the best pellet anyway).

Excellent in both TX200 mk2 and S400. Both .177.

Herx77 is offline "Instruments of the light"
    Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    Who’s got a 177that shoots RWS really well ?

My Chinese barrel Diana and my CP2 both do

Ironically I think I got them hoping so as had plenty of RWS pellets

Now I think I’d find something that shoots RWS well and stock up while the prices are not as potty as other brands

So: What chucks a tight RWS - ?
    RWS used to be the pellet to go to, before they altered the die and they became just another pellet.
    They had altered the head size (enlarged it) and (reduced the tail dia). Groups went ape and everyone looked for a different pellet, sales dropped over night. Never shot one since. Changed to AA Diabolo Field.
    HERX77 .
    Fighter against the "Dark Arts" A stranger in an even stranger land.
    GC2+Leupold 14.4-34x45
    AA400 fac receiver+sidewinder 8.5-34x52
    Weihrauch HW77k fiddled with and doing what it wants to +Zeiss 3-9x36.
    Weihrauch HW90k
    Weihrauch HW97k learning from above,now sporting a Maccarri 77/97 target stock..+Bushnell 3200.Go on shoot one you know you want to
    Daystate mk3 RT Delux + bushnell 4200 8-24x 40Does what it should again & again.
    Fwb 124 + Optima was good is good!
    Webley Vulcan.

Quote Originally Posted by Herx77 View Post
    RWS used to be the pellet to go to, before they altered the die and they became just another pellet.
    They had altered the head size (enlarged it) and (reduced the tail dia). Groups went ape and everyone looked for a different pellet, sales dropped over night. Never shot one since. Changed to AA Diabolo Field.
    HERX77 .
    You haven’t got a rifle that shoots RWS great then 😂🤣
    Thanks for your contribution !
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

I'm a 80's springer fan so in .177 my reach for pellet is RWS Superdomes. FWB Sports, Original 45, BSA, Webley, Theoben and HW, all shoot very well with them. Thats .177.

I don't shoot .22's enough to really say what might be best, or very good. The few I have are good with Superdomes and Superfield.
    Interestingly the pellet that my FWB Sport .22 shoots very well with are RWS Super Point. Why? I haven't a clue, nor a pellet that I'd choose first off either; just had a couple of tins somehow and they work really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    I'm a 80's springer fan so in .177 my reach for pellet is RWS Superdomes. FWB Sports, Original 45, BSA, Webley, Theoben and HW, all shoot very well with them. Thats .177.

I don't shoot .22's enough to really say what might be best, or very good. The few I have are good with Superdomes and Superfield.
    Interestingly the pellet that my FWB Sport .22 shoots very well with are RWS Super Point. Why? I haven't a clue, nor a pellet that I'd choose first off either; just had a couple of tins somehow and they work really well.

Superpoints have a slightly thinner skirt that seals especially well in 22 in some barrels including older / slightly wider bores. Knowledgeable shops such as Protech Supplies will sometimes give chrono readings on s/h rifles with superpoints to show a rifle can ‘make good power’
    The points do not impair accuracy at normal airgun ranges.
    I use them in 177 for bell target in an HW30 as there is less risk of bounce back than from Hobbies or Super Hollow Point. In hunting the points do not penetrate further but lead to more ‘deviation’ or if you like a greater wound channel. This was first explained to me by a well known shooter and I ran with this when pigeon shooting - entirely correct. Superpoints are a great hunting pellet for some quarry (at close range where head shots are not the best plan) but not due to the advertised penetration.
    I hope this helps, it’s entirely validated info - I encourage others to embrace rather than poo poo Superpoints , and not comment from prejudice / lack of extensive experiential use.
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

I hope this helps, it’s entirely validated info.
    By whom?

I get through a lot of RWS Diablo Basic's, cracking wee pellet and cheap as chips, just wish JSR would get them back in stock.

Another vote for rws superpoints-my 1980 original 45 .22 loves them.

Super Points?
    I wouldn't use them in .177 as Superdomes seem to work better.

The points just don't give the best long range results and add more dynamic issues than solve.
    I think they can work well in .22 due to their thinner skirts in some barrels at the shorter ranges where the velocity is still reasonable. They work well for my .22 FWB Sport.
    As for penetration then .177 pellets are pointy enough at all normal ranges whatever the design. .22 only struggles with feather plugging at medium and long range, and here the pointedness may well help. But without accuracy its a moot point

RWS Super Points really aren't that great a design. I just had some to use. There are probably better .22 designs to be had. In truth what pellet is all about what gets the best accuracy out of any given rifle. 12ft/lbs rifles it all about shot placement, nothing else.

I have found in a HW100 .177
    RWS pellets
    Super point 8.2grn OK
    Super dome 8.3grn OK
    Super field 8.4grn Not ok
    Super mag 9.3grn Not ok
    Hope this helps

My DS Wolverine and Huntsman both like superdomes. 30meters nice and tight in the right conditions....They do get pushed about by cross wind more than other pellets in my experience. But in still (ish) conditions A1.

Herx77 is offline "Instruments of the light"
    You haven’t got a rifle that shoots RWS great then ����
    Thanks for your contribution !
    the information was a comparison to the original Rws which were far superior, before they went sub standard. My remaining stock of RWS; don't expect good results so don't use them , But ok for pistol hft and plinking if you don`t expect to win.
    I didn't say that I havn't got rifles that will shoot them, but the results were not at the level I expect to compete at. Suitable for fun in, FWB300s, HW55m, I had the impression you wanted to achieve results, so offered a bit of friendly free knowledgeable advice, which seems wasted.
    HERX77 .
    Last edited by Herx77; 06-08-2022 at 03:09 PM.
    Fighter against the "Dark Arts" A stranger in an even stranger land.
    GC2+Leupold 14.4-34x45
    AA400 fac receiver+sidewinder 8.5-34x52
    Weihrauch HW77k fiddled with and doing what it wants to +Zeiss 3-9x36.
    Weihrauch HW90k
    Weihrauch HW97k learning from above,now sporting a Maccarri 77/97 target stock..+Bushnell 3200.Go on shoot one you know you want to
    Daystate mk3 RT Delux + bushnell 4200 8-24x 40Does what it should again & again.
    Fwb 124 + Optima was good is good!
    Webley Vulcan.

Herx77, you didn't say what RWS pellet you used and then was changed. RWS manufactures a few pellets and might even brand a few from others???

I don't own an absolute accuracy machine, and only need "good enough". If I was practicing heaps, driving miles for a comp, and to be competitive came down to a couple of targets, then what pellet does matter. Pellet choice, pellet check for consistency, and how pellets are transported, becomes increasingly important.

It does help having a rifle that can show minute differences in pellet quality and consistency. And then the shooter has be up to it too. I'd say most full powered springers can't do minutiae, just very good. The old target springers could do ten metres where light weight thin skirted pellets never got the chance to wander off far.
    Pellet quality of flight really shows at the extended ranges when velocity drops and no longer enough to keep them on the straight and narrow. Poor design will start to wander.

Start point for a good pellet is always what pellet the top competitors are using and in what barrels. However, plinking in the garden using expensive match grade ammo is a bit of a waste.

I thought the thread was just asking what RWS were working for anyone and with what?? Your input also has merit, for why not to use is interesting too.
    They had better not mess with my .177 Superdomes.