Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who’s got a 177 that shoots RWS pellets great - ?

Rws

RWS R10 Match .177 are extremely accurate on 25m bench out of my TX200 and HW99s
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post

They had better not mess with my .177 Superdomes.
    I wonder what metal RWS make their pellet dies out of ? Do they last a long time or are RWS very good at making new ones
    Hw77+7

Quote Originally Posted by HW55T View Post
    I wonder what metal RWS make their pellet dies out of ? Do they last a long time or are RWS very good at making new ones
    I suspect they are a hardened steel. There is possibly one big scaled master that is sized down to cut multiple pellet dies.
    Modern CNC and lasers have designs saved on computers, and the rest replicated as many times as you want by laser cutters. In truth pellets aren't that precise anyhow when compared to other tiny machine pieces such as found in watches. Modern pellets are darn consistent and one of the better parts considering all the other stuff that goes on in the shooting cycle. However the design matters in how a pellet goes through the air at differing velocities throughout its path. At too slow a velocity a pellet goes all unstable, wobbly. The better designs cope with different twits in the barrel and keep to the flight path better.

And of course the Lead alloy needs to compliment the design. Lead free will mess up older designs and need new ones. The biggy is a lighter, less dense, material may well require more velocity to seem to match Pb; could be a disaster.

I just use what works, and once found in no hurry to have to find another. Some people make a hobby out of searching for the perfect pellet to rifle match. Its all shooting so go for it....and tell us how it goes

Antoni is offline There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
    ....The better designs cope with different twits in the barrel ....
    ...well, they would be a big problem for any pellet designer.

I use RWS Superdome and Hobby for my more serious shooting (which isn't very serious) and anything cheap for plinking (except old wasp). [Edit: that's all .177]

Currently .22 'Spitfires' in my Scorpion pistol. They are a nice fit and probably more accurate than me. £7.50 per 500 locally.
    Last edited by Antoni; 08-08-2022 at 04:59 PM.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

Rws

Wolverine r loves superfield 4.52.bang on accurate.

Herx77 is offline "Instruments of the light"
    Herx77, you didn't say what RWS pellet you used and then was changed. RWS manufactures a few pellets and might even brand a few from others???

I don't own an absolute accuracy machine, and only need "good enough". If I was practicing heaps, driving miles for a comp, and to be competitive came down to a couple of targets, then what pellet does matter. Pellet choice, pellet check for consistency, and how pellets are transported, becomes increasingly important.

It does help having a rifle that can show minute differences in pellet quality and consistency. And then the shooter has be up to it too. I'd say most full powered springers can't do minutiae, just very good. The old target springers could do ten metres where light weight thin skirted pellets never got the chance to wander off far.
    Pellet quality of flight really shows at the extended ranges when velocity drops and no longer enough to keep them on the straight and narrow. Poor design will start to wander.
    Start point for a good pellet is always what pellet the top competitors are using and in what barrels. However, plinking in the garden using expensive match grade ammo is a bit of a waste.
    I thought the thread was just asking what RWS were working for anyone and with what?? Your input also has merit, for why not to use is interesting too.
    They had better not mess with my .177 Superdomes.
    Superdome.
    I was actually a tester for RWS for a while and thought relevant insider info useful if you didn't know and was asking! Looks like I was wrong.
    Fighter against the "Dark Arts" A stranger in an even stranger land.
    GC2+Leupold 14.4-34x45
    AA400 fac receiver+sidewinder 8.5-34x52
    Weihrauch HW77k fiddled with and doing what it wants to +Zeiss 3-9x36.
    Weihrauch HW90k
    Weihrauch HW97k learning from above,now sporting a Maccarri 77/97 target stock..+Bushnell 3200.Go on shoot one you know you want to
    Daystate mk3 RT Delux + bushnell 4200 8-24x 40Does what it should again & again.
    Fwb 124 + Optima was good is good!
    Webley Vulcan.

My HW30 shoots Superpoints and SHP with blistering accuracy
    On my bell target the points stay there, the SHP (like hobbies) sometimes come back !
    That’s at 6.5 ftlb
    I really rate Superpoints for various reasons 😀
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by Herx77 View Post
    Superdome.
    I was actually a tester for RWS for a while and thought relevant insider info useful if you didn't know and was asking! Looks like I was wrong.
    Herx77, I'm on your side here.
    I wouldn't ever recommend at pellet to a serious competition shooter as I don't shoot to that level, nor know what are working great. You do, so please keep giving your view.

80% of my air rifle shooting is with old springers and mostly .177 using RWS Superdomes. They seem to shoot well enough over the years. If they have been messed with I'd love to know, as I'm down to my last three tins of old stock I just hope nothing has changed. I don't think they have been "state of the art" for some time, years, decades even.
    One day I'll get round to shooting PCPs, and then I'd be looking at the new designs and manufacturing quality.

What do you think are good pellets now? Is RWS keeping up with the times?

For what its worth I find Air Arms Superdomes take some beating and if I cannot get small groups at 55yds when I'm on form they go back.(1/4 inch ish)
    Generally, a recommendation from Nick Jenkins or Jean of AA team? at the worlds, will with the competition crowd give me an idea which pellets( batch) are performing best.
    JSB have never come to terms with me so I don't use them, but Daystate are quiet good and have won me many springer comps in the past. Good stand bye.
    I found some old empty tin bottoms of RWS `if you can get them, bar code 4"000294"165528", they used to sell at £8.50.
    You would need at least 15000 for a season! comps, practice and set ups.
    HERX77.
    "
    Last edited by Herx77; 13-08-2022 at 05:29 PM.
    GC2+Leupold 14.4-34x45
    Weihrauch HW90k
    Weihrauch HW97k learning from above,now sporting a Maccarri 77/97 target stock..+Bushnell 3200.Go on shoot one you know you want to
    Daystate mk3 RT Delux + bushnell 4200 8-24x 40Does what it should again & again.
    Webley Vulcan.

Quote Originally Posted by HW55T View Post
    I imagine that it is a form of hardened tool steel; profiled by 'spark erosion' that gives precise dimensional control.
    HERX77
    Last edited by Herx77; 13-08-2022 at 05:33 PM.
    GC2+Leupold 14.4-34x45
    Weihrauch HW90k
    Webley Vulcan.

Thank you for that.
    When I did last shoot competitively then we sure got through a staggering amount of ammunition. Thankfully I wasn't paying for it. There is nothing better than putting rounds down the range and hitting what you are trying for.