Thread: 1907 bsa

1907 bsa

After I put up a valuation tread on this I bought it myself, nastalgic reason.
    The spring was broken but still shot well, so decided to strip it.
    Outer spring of two broken, piston out to check washer which was in remarkable condition for its age.
    But it had not one, not two but Three phosphor bronze rings also.
    Not come across this before. John
    snarepeg.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Sounds like someone in the past has tried to improve the performance by machining the 3 rings. like Webley did with some of their pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by duomatic410 View Post
    After I put up a valuation tread on this I bought it myself, nastalgic reason.
    The spring was broken but still shot well, so decided to strip it.
    Outer spring of two broken, piston out to check washer which was in remarkable condition for its age.
    But it had not one, not two but Three phosphor bronze rings also.
    Not come across this before. John
    Did you happen to photograph it dismantled John?

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    Sounds like someone in the past has tried to improve the performance by machining the 3 rings. like Webley did with some of their pistols.
    .....Everyone thinks airgun tuning is a new thing, I have seen all sorts in old BSA's that have not been apart for years, drilled pistons, alloy buttons, all sorts of preload devices etc. cocking lever grooves full of lead, stocks with lead shot in etc. etc.

The one I have at the mo' (1930's 45 inch Standard .22) has been "fettled" in the past...it came to me with both triggerguard screws badly rounded and rusty, so for sure has not been apart for yonks as I had to take a welder to them!

ATB, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Did you happen to photograph it dismantled John?

I didn't but I will, internet been down, water in Reuter (don't ask, a sore point but I got the blame)
    Will strip it again, quite easy once you remember to pull trigger back to unlock from main tube for first 3/4 turns. John
    snarepeg.

Just chrono it,600 ft/with Hobby 7 grain 5.5 ft/lb.
    With mags at 10/65 grain it made 6 ft/lb.
    Very easy cocking with duck bill lever, could do with a new spring but not going hunting with it and ideal garden plinker.

Have taken photos if someone can host them onto sight. John
    snarepeg.

Thumbs up

I had a 1907 BSA Air Rifle given to me by a gent on a non airgun forum, It had been in the back of his wardrobe since the 1970's when the piston rod snapped, The gent had an engineering friend make him another one but when he reassembled it the gun wouldn't latch so it went in his wardrobe!

The fella was in Wales and was driving north to Toonland so he actually dropped to my door!

He was getting in to watch repairing so I gave him a few watches to practice on!

I could see the trigger moving whilst at full cocking stroke but it wasn't latching so I reckoned that the hook on the end of the piston rod was just dropping short, Five mins with a diamond needle file and put back together, It latched on straight away!!

I had to fit a leather piston seal and away I went, It shoots ok but there's no sights on it so it's hard to hit owt!!

Also, The pivot screw on the cocking link had been sheared, The only matching thread I could find was a dome headed brass bolt!, Had to extract the broken in bit first which was easy!!

There's a trigger guard screw missing too!

The brass dome head screw in place!

I think I looked up the serial in Hillers book, I think it was 1907, I've no idea where the book is now though!

I was shocked at how much shorter the cylinders are than the BSA Standard untill I placed a couple side by side!

Cheers, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

That's in front of mine number wise, mine as the strait stock which isn't as nice for getting your head down as the saw handle.
    Very smooth cocking and quite with it, 6 ft/lb so about right, it's NOT getting an OX spring fitted that's for sure. John.
    snarepeg.