Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .177 Mercury S

.177 Mercury S

Had a lucky find of a .177 Mercury S she was in reasonable nick the bluing good with some slight evidence of rust if you looked carefully. The stock was well tired after all the years.
    So a bit of spit and polish was needed. Firstly a service and as usual the buffer washer was cheese! It took a fair bit of persuasion to get the piston out! So new buffer seals and spring a relube and back together. Next the stock had a light sand and raised a few dents. Then a few coats of oil over a week and a bit of wax to seal things off and the old girl live to fight another day.

People said smile things could get worse, so I smiled and they did!

The stock looks nice, it's walnut isn't it. Atb mick

Quote Originally Posted by mdunn View Post
    The stock looks nice, it's walnut isn't it. Atb mick
    Yes Mick it is walnut sadly the other side is not quite as good. It was BSAs attempt to keep up with the Germans.
    Looking forward to running her in, she’s putting out around 9.5 ft/lb at the moment but all the seals are pretty tight. Hopefully she’ll settle around the mid 10’s
    Cheers
    Dave

mercury s

Lovely Sir
    Very jealous
    atvb tom

Quote Originally Posted by tom24 View Post
    Lovely Sir
    Very jealous
    atvb tom
    Thanks Tom, yes glad I’ve restored her a little those seals are really made of cheese! Hopefully I’ll get some time on the weekend to put some pellets through her.
    Cheers
    Dave

Nice job! The Merc's are undoubtably amongst the most elegant springers ever made.

Best bit they point and shoot really well when shooting standing unsupported. The range to shoot them at is whatever range you can hit a Polo mint.
    Nice one.

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    Nice job! The Merc's are undoubtably amongst the most elegant springers ever made.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Best bit they point and shoot really well when shooting standing unsupported. The range to shoot them at is whatever range you can hit a Polo mint.
    Nice one.
    Thanks guys yes it is a very elegant gun and easy to shoot. I personally prefer to shoot them with open sights and they are very pointable.

That looks really nice.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

The BSA open sights are rather good. Young eyes can make the most of them. With practice those Polos are going to explode.

looks very nice

Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
    That looks really nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    The BSA open sights are rather good. Young eyes can make the most of them. With practice those Polos are going to explode.
    Quote Originally Posted by rapidresponse1 View Post
    looks very nice
    Thanks guys yes I’m pleased the way she has come out. Hopefully on the weekend I’ll get a bit of plinking done with her.
    I fixed up an old Meteor Super at the same time so will look forward to a nostalgic plink.
    Cheers
    Dave

Hi Dave
    That’s a lovely looking Mercury S .
    Enjoy your Oldskool plinking session..
    Atb
    Les..

Quote Originally Posted by Dai.T View Post
    Thanks Tom, yes glad I’ve restored her a little those seals are really made of cheese! Hopefully I’ll get some time on the weekend to put some pellets through her.
    Cheers
    Dave
    I had a Mercury Challenger (same action, beech stock) in 94. The buffer washer was never a problem as it was removed and the hole for the securing roll pin was redrilled, all to increase the swept volume. Removing the washer gave a little more power but not enough to push it over the limit and produced a smoother firing cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    Hi Dave
    That’s a lovely looking Mercury S .
    Enjoy your Oldskool plinking session..
    Atb
    Les..
    Thanks Les, I will do. Hope you’re doing okay and enjoying life. This collecting has a lot to answer to! May make Kempton in September are you planning on going?

Quote Originally Posted by 4end View Post
    I had a Mercury Challenger (same action, beech stock) in 94. The buffer washer was never a problem as it was removed and the hole for the securing roll pin was redrilled, all to increase the swept volume. Removing the washer gave a little more power but not enough to push it over the limit and produced a smoother firing cycle.
    Yep I’ve seen that mod and it’s a good idea. The buffer was only really a problem in getting the old one out. It had disintegrated and gummed up the piston in the cylinder making it frustratingly difficult to remove.